alumacraft trophy 190 (1988)

fishherman

Recruit
Hello everyone, just registered.

I foung a garage kept trophy with a 110 Johnson clean, nearly mint for $4500.Is this a good boat?
I read that a guy said they dont cut the water very well.

The boat is a beaut and am thinking to buy for fishing and pleasure.

What do you think? Good boat or suggest a similar boat instead.

Lou

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: alumacraft trophy 190 (1988)

I had a '91 170. Things I would check. Vinyl side panels and trim around gunwales. Soft spot in floor near splashwell on either side of gas tank. Mine was in floor, center of boat. Windshields lining up when center section is closed. At very bow of boat check for soft flooring. Mine was supposedly kept covered not in garage. Boat fished well, moved well, it had 115hp Merc. Look at wiring to see how or if it is jazzed up. Mine was butchered by prev owner. Ended up redoing everything. Liked the boat just didn't like how it had been cared for. Ended up installing rod locker as storage was an issue. May not be on 2' bigger boat. When I sold it, it sold pretty quick and it was December. Lot of calls and interest.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Its a big deep v ...... can't imagine that it wouldn't "cut" the water well. That should be a really nice stable hull.

If it is really in mint condition and everything checks out, should be a great boat.

Take a look through some of the other posts for people looking at used boats. Lots of great advice on what to look for. I would want to know when it was used last. Those garage finds can be great, but boats hate to sit. If it hasn't run in a year or two I would be replacing the impeller and getting the carbs rebuilt just as a precaution. An 88 probably has VRO so that system would need to be working as well.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I think they are very nice boats. Our local DNR has one. I have a 1988 Alumacraft Cassic 16.

What was that person comparing it to? Other aluminums or glass boats? Compared to a glass boat, yes they do ride a bit harder, bounce a bit more. But are also much lighter weight, less maintenance and absorb rocks and stumps better.

My opinion the price is a little on the high side but if it's cherry as you say it could justify the price. Any goodies with it?