Alternative to Rub Rails

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not even gonna say what I did with the old aluminum ones that were on my boat before I started working on it. However since new ones are so expensive and I still need something to cover the seem for the hull and deck, I'm trying to find some alternative to this stuff. I had no idea rub rail would be so expensive. :mad: <br /><br />Thanks

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Alternative to Rub Rails

If you left the framing and just need to replace the insert you can use rope and screw it in every foot or mtwo.Charlie

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Visit a camper dealer or camper parts store. Aluminum trim strips with vinyl inserts is quite inexpensive and would work well. You can get the inserts in a variety of colors as well.

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks I'll check it out, I also read in the archives about someone who mentioned using the molding they sell at like home depot that goes between carpet and flooring, says its aluminum with a rubber insert.<br /><br />Thanks Again

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I had thought of using this in place of rub rail on my boat before buying just the vinyl insert. Its the solid black vinyl rub strip for auto use. <br /><br />
ftodistributing_1821_2115220
<br /><br />Its about $27 for 26 feet. Find it here....<br /> PickupGear.com <br /><br />Pickup Gear also has a lot of other choices. Be sure to browse their whole site.<br /><br />Another option I though would work is this rub strip from JC Whitney, but not as nice as the stuff from Pickup Gear. <br /> <br />
I3049.gif;pvc4d202e12cbe2770

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That stuff from Pickup gear looks fine for me, but would the adhesive on the back of it stick to the fiberglass boat, and not come off when it gets water splashed on it?<br /><br />Thanks

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

The things that Mark42 is showing you will not work.Why I am saying that is,The top half(decking) over laps the hull of the boat.A rub rail has a channel that fills the gap.When installing a rub rail,one must use silacone in between the hull and the rub rail.Why?Because water that splashes and sprays up will enter thru the hull and top cap(decking).

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Crappie_Fan,<br /><br />The stuff I posted is for auto use. So it is exposed to the elements and tons of road salt up here in the north. The 3m adhesive should hold up to years of marine use. You can find this stuff on cars in the salvage yard 20 years old and still holding tight. <br /><br />Prockvoan made a good point. I re-read your post and you said there is a seam to cover. On my boat there is no seam. The aluminum is screwed into the edge of the cap. There is solid fiberglass behind it. So you may have to double check to see of the stick on stuff will work on your boats design. <br /><br />You could go to a boat salvage yard and take some off of another boat. As I am sure you know, it bends easily. So it should be easy to rebend used stuff to fit your hull shape. Just a thought.<br /><br />Also, that aluminum rub rail was used extensively on campers and motor homes. Maybe a dealer might have some old stock to sell cheap or you can find a motor home grave yard.<br /><br />Good luck.

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think it will work on my boat, before I took the top half of the boat off, it was a flush mount. Basically no lip, the top just sat directly ontop of the hull, and was glassed all the way around on the inside of the hull. I was thinking about not even putting it back on and just fiberglass the inside again and do the outside, then sand smooth, gelcoat, etc.. but I think that would be more work than what I'm aiming for. I just want to make this thing float for 4 more years, then I will sell or give the boat away, when I get my new one.<br /><br />Thanks guys

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I still had the aluminum peices I would definitly use the rope idea, seen that while browsing the archives. But the aluminum peices are long gone. :(

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Check around some wielding shops for some aluminun strips.Now that you said the top decking is flush with the hull,1" strips would work.What you would need to do is glass in on the inside were the top and hull meet,at the same time glass in a strip of 1/4" thick by 1" wide strip of plywood around the area.That will give the screws more of a chance to stay put.<br /> From there,lay the alum strip out,dill out holes ever 8" to 10",use round head s/s screws when installing.

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thats a pretty goood idea, never thought about just some regular old aluminum flat bar, about .125 thick should work pretty good.<br /><br />Thanks for the help guys :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Prockvoan, can you post some photos of your boat? I cant picture what it is you are describing and I'd like to be able to follow your idea.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Mark,I would lke to,but don't know how to post a picture.<br />The reason to glass in a piece of plywood is to give the screws something to bite into other the the fiberglass.If not,the vibration will work out the screws,the plywood helps in that department.Thats how most newer boats are built when installing the rub rail.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

prockvoan,<br /><br />Quick lesson in posting pics and other fancy stuff...<br /><br />Click on the "full reply" button below. Look for the "Instant UBB Code" buttons below the reply window. Click on IMAGE button. Paste in any web address for a picture (jpg or gif extensions) in the new window and close it. In the example below I went to yahoo.com and right mouse clicked on the YAHOO logo at the top of the page. From the window that opens, select "properties", from there it shows the internet address of that picture. Highlight the address and copy it. Then I pasted that address into the IMAGE button window. Bingo! You see the yahoo picture here.<br /><br />If you get free web hosting at a place like photobucket.com you do the same to make the pictures you save there show up here. <br /><br />
y3.gif