Alpha Outdrive, Yamaha 5.0L GM Manual

So buddy brings me his 1994 230 Rinken 5.0L with what im told is a bad head gasket, owner wants to set a new 5.7L long block in it. I get the boat and its already mostly pulled apart so I have a couple boxes of parts and a half a engine, does any one have a manual for this setup? Had I known I was getting a pig-in-a-poke I wouldnt have taken the job..

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha Outdrive, Yamaha 5.0L GM Manual

Alpha Outdrive, Yamaha 5.0L GM Manual
So buddy brings me his 1994 230 Rinken 5.0L with what im told is a bad head gasket, owner wants to set a new 5.7L long block in it. I get the boat and its already mostly pulled apart so I have a couple boxes of parts and a half a engine, does any one have a manual for this setup? Had I known I was getting a pig-in-a-poke I wouldnt have taken the job..

Ayuh,... There's Never been a Yamaha 5.0l/ Mercruiser Alpha 1 driveline,...

So,......... No, there ain't no manuals for it...

Well the outdrive isnt on it but the motor has Yamaha all over it, and it is a GM 5.0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is the Merc manual for a 91 5.0L, the engine itself will be the same. All the Yamaha ignition, accessories, etc., it's not going to be of much help.

How sure are you that it takes an Alpha I drive? Pictures of the transom shield would be handy

Here is the Merc manual for a 91 5.0L, the engine itself will be the same. All the Yamaha ignition, accessories, etc., it's not going to be of much help.

How sure are you that it takes an Alpha I drive? Pictures of the transom shield would be handy

Oh, I know it's a Merc outdrive, just not sure which one yet, Ill get some pics and let you know. As far as getting the motor in, thats not a problem, its the accessorys/ignition that will be the issue (like Don said).

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Pig-in-a-Poke is the politest term I can think of for that Cobb Job...

If it is in fact a Merc drive,...
Yank ALL the Yamaha crap off/ outa it, 'n tell the guy he needs a new bobtail Merc 5.7l motor...