Alpha One Power Trim Problem

Racer57

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2017 135 HP Mercuiser with an Alpha I/O.

I have frequent issues with lowering the power tilt after it sits unused for a week or so.If I have someone hit the lower button and I press down on the stern drive, once "broken loose" it does go down. It then can raise OK, but when I try to go down again it sticks and I have to help it along. Once it loosens up though, it will work all day just fine.

I have lubricated the hydraulic pistons but that only provides temporary relief.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting this? replace cylinders? Bad Pump?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... When you raise it up, at the top, you can hear the pump labor,.....

Tap the down button a couple of times to unload, the over-load,.....

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Happens to both my sterndrive and outboard, move the drive in both directions a couple of times to relieve the pressure in the rams. The weight of the outdrive causes pressure buildup, especially if you are trailering. If you are trailering, I highly recommend the plastic trailering sleeves for the rams. It will minimize the issue you are encountering.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
The 2 anodes on the end of the rams sometimes oxidize and clearance around the ram shaft is zero. Remove anode and file out the zincs with a really coarse round file to increase clearance around horseshoe shape once again.
screws 5/16 get really tight to remove too as zincs oxidize around these too.
would suggest using a hex socket to remove bolts. Clean lube and refit.