Alpha one Outdrive Trim motor works sporadically. Solenoid issue?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
The boat. 2000 SeaRay sun deck with the mercruiser alpha one outdrive.
I’ve recently noticed the buttons that raise or lower the outdrive do not work consistently. I have three buttons. The raise lower button on the throttle, the trailer raise button on the throttle, and the stern toggle switch that is under the stern exhaust vent. If you play with the buttons a bit, they all start to work. Is it the solenoid? Does it just need a cleaning? In this boat, I believe the solenoid is on the trim motor which is on the interior far stern, port side, behind the batteries. I need to remove the batteries to try to get to it, and even then it’s quite difficult. I would appreciate any advice before I start to remove the batteries because once removed, it will be difficult to test out the trim drive. Thank you.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Clean all connections.Very common issue.You will probably find one of the connections to be greenish in color.Charlie

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
if the solenoids click, then suspect contacts in the solenoid. If they dont, suspect a power conditon

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Very common problem.
The contacts in the solenoid either get corroded or burnt out, causing a bad connection.

I replaced both my solenoids 4-5 years ago.
My drive would randomly not go up, so I just replaced them both while my body was contorted in there.
Label all the wires before you start disconnecting.
One solenoid controls up and the other controls down.
Green wire is down, like the green grass. Blue wire is up, like the blue sky. At least that was how mine was wired.

Just as a note...
If you find yourself at the ramp retrieving your boat and the drive will not go up and you can't get to the trim wiring to jump it out, as a last resort you can just pop off the ram "E" clips. Then safely and securely lift and tie up your drive. Now you can trailer it home for repairs.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
In the future, if salt water boat, after replacing noids, cover with some plastic material to make sure salt water doesn't cause more issues. Been there!

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
Had a similar issue and I changed the solenoids, both up and down, and the problem stopped. Just remember the wiring locations. Blue is up for sky, green is down for grass. Make sure you buy the marine solenoids, aka quicksilver brand as they’re sealed.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
If you really feel inclined, you can put on "solenoid savers" lol... I did a video a couple years ago about adding flyback diodes to trim solenoids and the starter solenoid to prevent internal arcing which will make them last way longer...

Solenoid Video