alpha one lower unit oil leak ?

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice
I have a oil slowly leaking out of my lower unit ! The oil leak is coming from a small hole in the side of the lower unit towards the top of the lower unit . any ideas why ? I took the lower unit off cleaned the surface between lower and upper . reasembled and added oil and still the leak .

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: alpha one lower unit oil leak ?

Did you remember to install the O-ring on the starboard side near the water pump? There's an oil passage from the bottom to the top gear case.

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

I think I see the o-ring you are talking about in my manual . I did not see it when I just took it apart . I will take it apart and see for sure ! on a side note any chance missing that o-ring could cause the speedometer not work ?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

must be a GEN II, did you remember to hook it up,

cr2k

Captain

If it's a GEN II, and it sounds like it is, you would be best to drop the lower check the quad ring as mentioned above and also check the vertical drive shaft seals both with a flashlite and by feeling that they are still there and seated.

Problem for GEN IIs is those pesky seals either being knocked loose putting the lower on, sans proper care, or just coming out by themselves.

Check your upper too and make sure it has oil.

The hole you mention sounds like a weep hole to drain water from the drive to prevent freezing. Oil that is collecting between the upper and lower will exit there. Water in lower will displace oil up and out, possible causes, shift shaft seal, water pump base, bad or missing quad ring, prop seal. Pull prop and check for fishing line in seal behind thrust washer.

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

It is a gen 11 . I will check it over this evenning and give a update .

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

The o- ring was not in there . I just replaced and NO LEAK !!! once again a big thank you to the people on this forum ...... makes my mechanic work a lot easier : )