Alpha One, gen ll upper yoke nut torque value

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been working on boat with alpha outdrive, gen ll, # OL711535. I recently had upper yoke removed for u-joint replacement. At that time I happened to check the torque on the nut that holds this assembly of bearings, and seals, and gear together. I torqued the nut to 80 ft lbs. Now much later I have read posts concerning spacers, rolling torque, and other aspects of working in this area. My question is...did I mess up by torqueing this nut, or should I have used rolling torque method. Also please explain the rolling torque method to me, and how to know now if I should re-do this torque. Of course I prefer to leave it alone. thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha One, gen ll upper yoke nut torque value

I have been working on boat with alpha outdrive, gen ll, # OL711535. I recently had upper yoke removed for u-joint replacement. At that time I happened to check the torque on the nut that holds this assembly of bearings, and seals, and gear together. I torqued the nut to 80 ft lbs. Now much later I have read posts concerning spacers, rolling torque, and other aspects of working in this area. My question is...did I mess up by torqueing this nut, or should I have used rolling torque method. Also please explain the rolling torque method to me, and how to know now if I should re-do this torque. Of course I prefer to leave it alone. thanks

Now you know why you should use an OEM service manual and not some old thread in a forum that may or may not be correct or for your drive.
You should not have use the torque method, that is now how they are done. You should be using the rolling torque method since you don't even have the small spacer.
Section 3A of the manual is what you should be looking at. Here is a link to the manual.

Service Manual #14

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks Don S for the reply and link to manual. I have reviewed parts of the manual, and I have to admit, I don't get it. The ending torque value on the drive gear pinion nut is about 5 in. lbs. Why even use a torque wrench when this is about finger tight...what keeps the nut from coming off? Am I missing something that is simple here? And the manual states, if while rotating the bearing, if you overshoot the torque, you must dis-assemble the yoke assy and start again. I am eagerly waiting a response from you and others.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

You are tightening the nut to get preload rolling torque, not torque as read while tightening the nut (you tighten the nut with a wrench as shown in step 4 on page 3A-25). It is the amount of tightness needed to get the torque reading while turning the shaft in the bearing.....(the preload rolling torque is measured while you are turning the shaft in the bearings using a torque wrench/gauge on the nut as explained in step 1 on page 3A-26). Takes a bit of practice to get to the right rolling torque without going over.... as it says, if you go over, you have to loosen everything up and start over. G'luck!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The ending torque value on the drive gear pinion nut is about 5 in. lbs. Why even use a torque wrench

It's not a torque WRENCH, it's a torque GAUGE.

Yes, was confusing to me the first 15 times I read it. Need to go back and forth tightening with a torque wrench then checking the setting with the torque gauge. Yes, page 3a-35 of the manual shows the word "wrench" but look at the picture; that's not a torque "wrench" as we know. That is a picture of an inch pound torque "gauge" that I spent about $200 on though you might be able to borrow one.
I think I was up around 30 foot pounds on the torque wrench that yielded the proper reading on the torque gauge.

Chris(Achris) did a video on just this topic. Find it and watch, helps a bit.

Mark

Last edited: