alpha one gen ll gimbal bearing part number, greasable

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Needing to replace my gimbal bearing on alpha one gen ll outdrive. I would like to know which gimbal bearings are greasable vs sealed. I see lists of replacements but have no way of knowing which ones are sealed. I prefer not to order one of the sealed bearings. any help appreciated, thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: alpha one gen ll gimbal bearing part number, greasable

Unless it's been changed, the Sierra 18-2100 has always been greaseable.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... I prefer not to order one of the sealed bearings.

Any particular reason you don't want the better bearing?

Chris....

Don S

How can you say it's better? Cheaper for Mercruiser is all, not better that I can tell.

Bondo

Staff member

How can you say it's better? Cheaper for Mercruiser is all, not better that I can tell.

Ayuh,.... Ditto that,.... Not greasable ain't Better the way I see it....

For that reason alone, I believe the '83/ '85 Alpha transom assembly is the Best Merc ever built,...

From that point to current has seen the loss of most All the grease fittin's...

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the replies. To answer a question, I prefer to be able to grease things. Maybe in a perfect world a sealed bearing would be good, but my boating world is not perfect, and I like to squeeze contaminants out with new grease. thanks again

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I've replaced less of the sealed items than I have the grease-able ones and seen no seizures or any form of damage due to less grease fittings. I believe the sealed, non-grease-able units are definitely superior.

JMHO...

Chris

Don S

I've replaced less of the sealed items than I have the grease-able ones and seen no seizures or any form of damage due to less grease fittings. I believe the sealed, non-grease-able units are definitely superior.

JMHO...

Chris

The new bearings last longer than bearings that get no maintenance, but the bearings that do get greased regularly seem to last for many, many years. More than those sealed bearings have even existed.
So it depends on if you do maintenance or not. But if you do, you are now stuck with un-grease-able bearings and get to buy new more often.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with being able to grease your bearings. Sure makes me sleep better knowing i am able to put in new fresh grease. I wish my ujoints could be greased like my old Stingray. Makes me want to swap the ujoints for greasable ones...