Alpha one gen 2 vibration.

Skyhead22

Seaman
Clicks or knocks softly in neutral trimmed clear up.
Vibration felt and audible hum when on plane and turning left or right, same reaction trimmed clear down or up on plane. There is a happy window with no noise or vibration on plane just above from trimmed clear down. Problem has gradually gotten worse.

Pulled upper and lower unit. U joints are tight and clean. No play or slop at all. Shook the hell out of it at all angles no slop anywhere.

Gimbal bearing is very well greased, inner race is firm no wiggle. It spins silky smooth and with a tiny amount of resistance as a good bearing should.

Have ran 2 props, same issue just gradually getting worse.

Splines look good

I'm stumped!

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Clicks or knocks softly in neutral trimmed clear up.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya Ain't suppose to run the motor when tilted Full Up,....

The noise is yer u-joints Screamin' in agony twistin' at angles they aren't designed for,....

Pull the drive, 'n see just how bad they're beat up,....

Skyhead22

Seaman
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya Ain't suppose to run the motor when tilted Full Up,....

The noise is yer u-joints Screamin' in agony twistin' at angles they aren't designed for,....

Pull the drive, 'n see just how bad they're beat up,....

Trim up is fine, not trailer trim. I do have the drive removed and they look fine... as I said.

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Thou are almost certainly hearing bad u-joints. That is almost always cause of noise that changes with angle of outdrive. I could send you a set of crosses that look perfect but knock and rumble anywhere outside of straight. Cheap fast fix. Replace them and go boating.

Rick

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you sure your trim limit is set right and the drive is not trimming up to much? Just a thought

Skyhead22

Seaman
Thou are almost certainly hearing bad u-joints. That is almost always cause of noise that changes with angle of outdrive. I could send you a set of crosses that look perfect but knock and rumble anywhere outside of straight. Cheap fast fix. Replace them and go boating.

Rick

$60 a piece $120 for both. I'm just going to go ahead and replace everything while it's apart. Gimbal bearing, u joints, water pump, bellows, and seals. $470 total.