alpha one gen 2 leaking oil from water intakes

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an alpha one gen 2 outdrive that is leaking oil out the water inlets. I am sure that I will remove lower half of drive, to get to water pump area. I read somewhere on this forum that there are a couple of back to back seals that may be this problem, allowing oil leaking. If I get to that area, what could I expect, as far as difficulty to replace those seals? Any suggestions would help. thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you would want to have a manual handy, oem is a +. they are still on the net just have to ask nicely.
It could be : driveshaft seal carrier, shift shaft housing, upper driveshaft seals. A pressure test would be the place to start.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If it's genuinely the water inlets the oil's coming from, the source is the seals under the water pump. Just be a bit careful because tthe oil might be coming from somewhere else and just look like the inlets. Just did a Gen II drive 3 days ago that had oil leaking out of the prop... You would think it was the prop shaft seals, or the carrier 'o' ring, but it wasn't either of those, it was the drive-shaft seals in the bottom of the top box....

HTH,

Chris...........

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks bspeth, Bt doctur, and achris. I will try to review the manual and get started. I'll keep all posted. achris I appreciate the youtube videos !

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Today I removed the lower half of the gen 2 alpha. I rigged up my pressure tester, but in doing that I noticed the o ring for oil passage from upper to lower half was obviously flattened and brittle. Wouldn't this o ring, if bad, allow oil past water pump housing then out water inlet ? Anyway, tested lower half with 10 psi. so far so good. I think the o ring caused the problem. Any advice or thoughts ? thanks

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Update.....I think I said so far so good too soon. I noticed that I have bubbles around the shift shaft on this lower leg. Somewhere I read that a little leakage here is ok. Is that true? It seems that any leak is unsatisfactory. Also is there any advice if I change the seal or bushing ? thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
... I noticed the o ring for oil passage from upper to lower half was obviously flattened and brittle. Wouldn't this o ring, if bad, allow oil past water pump housing then out water inlet ? ..

No. A leak from that 'O' ring would show on the outside of the housing or from the drain holes at the top of the lower half.

Update.....I think I said so far so good too soon. I noticed that I have bubbles around the shift shaft on this lower leg. Somewhere I read that a little leakage here is ok. Is that true? It seems that any leak is unsatisfactory. Also is there any advice if I change the seal or bushing ? thanks

That is only a single seal so may leak at about 7 or 8 psi. As the drive should never see a positive internal pressure in normal use (because the monitor bottle is 'open to atmosphere'), that seal's real job is to stop water going in.....

When you did the pressure test, did you have the water pup housing and base plate removed?

Chris....

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
achris thanks for the quick reply. I did have the water pump and base plate removed for this pressure test at about 9 to 10 psi.