Alpha One 3.0L flooding when in waves

ForkliftJeff

Cadet
I just bought my Dad's 1992 Bayliner Capri 1850CS. It has a Mercruiser Alpha One 3.0L S#0D706048. Me and my wife will be taking it out for our first trip in May so I am going to do an oil change and tune up. But I also want to figure out a problem that it had last year when my Dad brought it up to the lake. After cruising around the lake and then slowing down to an idle for trolling it seemed like when waves (from another boats wake) rocked the boat from side to side the motor would start to flood itself so we would have to rev it up to clear it out or else the engine would stall and then it took quite a bit of cranking the engine over to get it to start again. Any ideas what I should look at? I was thinking I may have to rebuild the carb but I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha One 3.0L flooding when in waves

Carb would be my first thought. Are you sure it was flooding? Could be water in the carb causing it to die.
Might want to install a water separating fuel filter before the fuel pump when you check your carb.

Levithan

Banned

Carb float set incorrectly I would say.

ForkliftJeff

Cadet

I'm pretty sure it was flooding because after getting it restarted it would let out a bunch of smoke and it smelled like gas. And the boat does have a fuel seperating fuel filter installed. I will look into adjusting the float.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Based on your description, smoke and smell of gas only when the boat is rocked, I would also say float problems. Adjustment or something else after inspection. You need to tear the carb apart and while your in there, would be best to install a rebuild kit (plus cleaning).

Maxum88

Seaman

Check your fuel filter inside your fuel pump as well, come to find out after almost a whole season of hard starts, I had the cardboard filter in mine and it was crushed. The line running from the fuel pump into the carb was just dumping gas into the carb and flooding it. Replaced it with the porus hard kind (not sure what it's made of) and it's been fine since. Not sure how they crushed it, bought the boat last year and discovered it...among many other things!!!