Alpha Drive blew--help with gear ratios

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Always happens when you least expect it---driving down the river-100 miles from home-boat overheats--roasts the impeller and top seal--I may have to replace the top half---my drive has been repainted so many times I cant read the ratio---howelse can I tell what the ratio is---thanks Steve

Re: Alpha Drive blew--help with gear ratios

By the engine it is attached to;

removing the top cover and counting teeth on each gear; (little tough to get em all but not impossible).

What size engine do you have?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What engine do you have?
A SBC V8 uses a 1.50 ratio
a 3.0L uses a 1.98 ratio.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The drive is a 1988 Alpha 1---one of a twin engine boat with 5.7 mercs and a 30' 10 wide Regal 280---I think it's a 1.50 ratio--but I think I made the right call when the local marinas mechanic and I worked together for a few hours and tore it all apart.

Zebra Mussels were THICK in the impeller and melted the housing-the top seals--the exhaust hoses---they were burnt--motor seems OK--started right up--sounded fine????

OK----ATTENTION ALL MECHANICS---this took place in a very small town with the local Mechanic having a boat also at the marina and seems to be a very good guy and I'm sure he is----so we are going to fix it---any advise???

Stay tuned

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a freshly resealed 1991 upper 1:50 ratio with ZERO hours on it (after the reseal) sitting here, if you are interested, send me a PM.