Alpha 1 to Bravo 1 conversion

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't intend to blow up my outdrive with my new motor, but it should put out over 300hp. What all must be done to convert it to bravo 1? I don't mind cutting on the transom but I hate to change the steering and controls.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha 1 to Bravo 1 conversion

You'll need to change EVERYTHING from the Rear Motor Mounts Back................<br /><br />There's No Cutting the transom,..... Maybe drilling a hole or 2.........

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bondo, I figured it wouldn't be simple. Will the P/S cylinder work or would I have to change that as well? I actually have a Konrad outdrive which is supposed to be beefier, but they don't reccomend over 275hp. My 400 sbc with roller cam should exceed that. I am looking ahead just in case. Are used Bravo parts readily available?

Bondo

Staff member

Will the P/S cylinder work ??<br />Are used Bravo parts readily available? <br />
Ayuh,... No Difference....<br /><br />Ebay ?? I see Bravo stuff All the Time...... Very Expensive thou.......<br /><br />Just Don't Hammer it......<br />I'm putting together a 300+hp, 383cid stroker,..... And It's going in front of an Alpha 1.........<br /><br />It's Not so much the HP,.... It's Your Right Hand that Blows the Drive............... ;)

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had heard this said about the big block Alphas that merc built. Me being past the half century mark, I find it easier to show restraint than I used to. I generally chage my outdrive oil every fall wether it needs it or not. I use Penzoil synthetic. It always comes out black with no metal to speak of on the magnet. Do you think I should be running a drive shower?