Alpha 1 Gen 2-What to do with exhaust and water cooling intakes?

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer
I am planning a diesel conversion on an Alpha 1 Gen 2 stern drive.I am using close loop cooling on the engine and thru hull exhaust at the water line.What do I do about the exhaust port thru the drive,and what do I do about the water intake?Can I block off the exhaust by welding a bung in?Can I block off the water intakes and remove the impeller and pump?

Fun Times

Staff member
Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the impeller in the lower unit serves 2 purposes. one to supply water to the engine and 2 to cool the oil in the drive. just remember on land to use muffs on the drive and another water feed to the engine.
There is a block-off plate available to do just that. Remove the Y pipe and install the cap.
With any closed system you must have a thru hull pick-up for the water so plan accordingly to drill the hole in a un-obstructed area for a clean flow of water.

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer
I am moving my exhaust out of the out drive, and running it through the transom,do I still need the raw water pump in the lower unit?I've been researching this and read some mixed reviews.I understand the upper gear housing needs cooling with the exhaust ran through the drive.The turbo diesel will get to hot for the stern drive and damage it.Hence,moving the exhaust out of the drive.

Could I remove the raw water pump in the leg and divert some of the raw water from the heat exchanger back down through the out drive?A reverse flow set up.I know the forward facing holes will need to be sealed off in the lower unit.I could make little wings to push sea water around the lower unit side pick ups and help pull water out through the lower unit.The water leaving the heat exchanger on my friends 4.3 alpha one isn't very hot.Maybe in the 100 to 110 degree range.His close loop system (fresh water system) keeps the engine at a steady 180F.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
gear oil gets hot, leave the impeller in it.

if you divert raw water, from the heat exchanger, raw water will then only go in that direction and not thru the heat exchanger. water will want to go the path of least resistance.

you can not compare the raw water discharge betwee a petrol and diesel engines. BTU output not the same, water flow rates not the same, and heat exchanger baffles not the same. you are comparing bananas to potatos.

as stated prior. if your using the alfa leg, leave the impeller and cut the hose. use a transom pickup for your new diesel, and follow the instructions on the heat exchanger plumbing. do not try to out think the engineering that went into the diesel cooling system

Bondo

Staff member
I am planning a diesel conversion on an Alpha 1 Gen 2 stern drive.I am using close loop cooling on the engine and thru hull exhaust at the water line.What do I do about the exhaust port thru the drive,and what do I do about the water intake?Can I block off the exhaust by welding a bung in?Can I block off the water intakes and remove the impeller and pump?

Ayuh,.... Diesels are mated to Bravo drives, yer gonna run into all sorts of Problems with yer plan,....

Like how ya gonna stumble the motor, so's the drive will shift to neutral,..??

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
How powerful will this diesel be? The Alpha may not be able to handle the torque.

Chris

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer
gear oil gets hot, leave the impeller in it.

if you divert raw water, from the heat exchanger, raw water will then only go in that direction and not thru the heat exchanger. water will want to go the path of least resistance.
you can not compare the raw water discharge betwee a petrol and diesel engines. BTU output not the same, water flow rates not the same, and heat exchanger baffles not the same. you are comparing bananas to potatos.

as stated prior. if your using the alfa leg, leave the impeller and cut the hose. use a transom pickup for your new diesel, and follow the instructions on the heat exchanger plumbing. do not try to out think the engineering that went into the diesel cooling system

I don't think you're understanding at all what I am thinking.Moving on.

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,.... Diesels are mated to Bravo drives, yer gonna run into all sorts of Problems with yer plan,....

Like how ya gonna stumble the motor, so's the drive will shift to neutral,..??

Gen 2 doesn't require a shift interrupter,Gen 1 for sure does.However,it can be wire to the injection pump shut down solenoid.Diesels have been mated to both Gen 1 and 2 drives.

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer
How powerful will this diesel be? The Alpha may not be able to handle the torque.

Chris

200 hp at the flywheel and 280ftlbs,maybe more.I plan to dyno tune the engine before install.Once it's in the boat,the injection pump will be most difficult to tune.

Bondo

Staff member
Gen 2 doesn't require a shift interrupter,Gen 1 for sure does.However,it can be wire to the injection pump shut down solenoid.Diesels have been mated to both Gen 1 and 2 drives.

Ayuh,.... Yes it does, All of the Alpha series do,...

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,.... Yes it does, All of the Alpha series do,...

The dealer removed the one on our '95 run about with gen 2 drive.Said that with the type of internal shifting it didn't have to be there.He said the gen 1 had to have it or the gears would shift.It was a '95 135HP 3.0L.We never even noticed it was gone other than the engine didn't stumble when shifting.When we sold it,with 500+ hours on it,it was still running great.As far as I know,it still is.I see it going back and forth to the lake.

Bondo

Staff member
The dealer removed the one on our '95 run about with gen 2 drive.Said that with the type of internal shifting it didn't have to be there.He said the gen 1 had to have it or the gears would shift.It was a '95 135HP 3.0L.We never even noticed it was gone other than the engine didn't stumble when shifting.When we sold it,with 500+ hours on it,it was still running great.As far as I know,it still is.I see it going back and forth to the lake.

Ayuh,.... The shiftin' in the Gen.II, is exactly the same as the Alpha 1,.....

Donno what to tell ya, but that guy is just plain ole dead Wrong,....

Fun Times

Staff member
Ben, Please know that we're only here to express our thoughts of how we know the mercruiser system is designed to work for best use. Also for the most part as an safety caution to you, this forums intent is only going to give you our take of the correct procedures that in our opinion should be followed. Granted some mileage may vary of what works and what don't, it seems you're going to/planning to be in the category of finding out different ways of trying to make things work that might not ordinarily work for others.

You are correct that Merc used alphas with some of the lower HP diesel engines.
Diesel Drives
Alpha One[SUP]®[/SUP] Strong. Versatile. Reliable.
  • Available for single and twin engine applications, the Alpha One’s efficient hydrodynamic profile produces very little drag, which means better boat performance and fuel economy.
  • Features like an integrated water pump and permanently lubricated pivot points let you spend less time on maintenance and more time boating.
  • Designed for boats capable of up to 65 mph and gas engines delivering up to 300hp and diesel engines up to 150hp.

There's a few ways to think about not having/utilizing a split second engine hesitation during shifting out of gear. Its purpose is to unload the gears in the drive to make shifting easier plus depending on what type of load you have on the engine/drive setup which may include boat weight/size as well as engine torque and propeller type used, shifting could be much more difficult and unsafe.

For whatever reason the dealer decided to remove your OEM shift interrupt system really wasn't the best choice for them to make even though it may have seemed to work for you. Under typical circumstances removing it should have made shifting a little less desirable on you even if you became used to it. Plus the fact that should there had been an accident of major concern, the lawyers would have hired a professional marine surveyor who would have found that system not working/missing and the dealer would be on the hook for that mishap. Don't ask me how I know this as that is another story about the shifting system and lawyers.:rolleyes:

Being that you had a 3.0l probably on a lighter weight boat model with I'd guess an aluminum propeller you might not have notice the shift interrupt system not working as much if say you had more HP of a V8 running a stainless steel propeller on a heavier boat model per say.
During on the water shift interrupt testing that I have done in the past, I can honestly say with the 350 V8 stainless propeller combo, shifting was near impossible at times when I had to disconnect the shift switch.

Though the bigger engine coupler used on the diesels vs the gassers might help absorb some of the engine torque not to bother the alpha drives as much as one might think, I can't help but think that the extra torque of the diesel "might" play into affect on the shifting being an extra load on the gears to where your going to need the interrupt system for your shifting safety. Again your mileage may vary but at least your preparing or prepared for it should you open mindedly need it.

A final note about discrediting Scott's theory above about the heat exchanger and water flow. If there's anyone on here that knows about heat exchangers and their flow capacities and what your trying to accomplish, Scott is definitely going to be at the top of list due to he spent many years working as an engineering designer/tester for one of the big name marine heat exchangers manufactures so he definitely knows what their capable of doing or not doing.

While I have heard of some removing the alpha impeller and being ok as far as heat, it's a much better idea to leave the impeller in to get more drive cooling. The nice thing about the alpha gen 2 impellers are, if ran in clean waters and not run dry, the OEM impellers have been know to last 7-8 years + and still look like near new when removed for replacement. Just something to think about while trying to decide if your going to run one or not.;)

One other theory mercruiser asks you to do is, since you're going thru-hull exhaust, they say to remove the exhaust bellows between the bell housing and transom assembly due to you could develop a vacuum at the propeller that could affect overall boat performance.

Whatever way you decide to go, good luck and be sure to update the topic with the outcome of it all.:)

thumpar

Admiral
Sounds like the "other" drive was a Bravo. They don't use an interrupter.
I doubt it would be a Bravo being that it had a 3.0l. The dealer may not even have actually removed the shift interrupt. I can tell you it was a pain to get my 2.5l to shift to nuetral when the shift interrupt didn't activate.

Last edited:

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer
I doubt it would be a Bravo being that it had a 3.0l. The dealer may not even have actually removed the shift interrupt. I can tell you it was a pain to get my 2.5l to shift to nuetral when the shift interrupt didn't activate.

The 2.5 was a Alpha Gen 1 with a different shift mech that required an interrupter to allow the load on the gears to lessen so they could be shifted.And yes,the shift interrupt switch and wiring was removed from the drive.I verified with my beady little eyes.

Bondo

Staff member
The 2.5 was a Alpha Gen 1 with a different shift mech that required an interrupter to allow the load on the gears to lessen so they could be shifted.And yes,the shift interrupt switch and wiring was removed from the drive.I verified with my beady little eyes.

Ayuh,..... 'n so does the Alpha, Gen.II,.....

Take a look at a parts diagram sometime, they're 'bout the Same, Internally,....
The linkages from the cable to shift spool changed, but it still needs an interruption, to shift outa gear,...
It's still a dog-clutch drive, as it's always been,...

We'll help ya build it, I'm just pointin' out that point,....
No offense,....

Just what motor ya goin' with,..??