Alpha 1 Gen 2 proper dog engagement noise.

rustybronco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On muffs, at idle, no prop installed.

No history of the boat as I bought it used with a bad outdrive. Outdrive has been overhauled. Lower gears looked great. only the carrier bearing was bad. Replaced it along with the carriers needle bearing and resealed. Upper gears were wiped.

When engaging fwd or reverse you hear the dogs ratcheting for about a second. Kind of like drrr innn kkk then full prop rotation. Is this sound normal operation?

rustybronco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had actually thought I was putting it into gear rather quickly. At least I made a conscious effort to try to move the lever fast.

I'll check to see if there is any resistance to the cable's movement causing it to not be put into gear as fast as it should. I goofed when removing the lower shift cable but I believe it's routed properly after putting things back together upon rehabbing the Mercruser transom.

flashback

Captain
If you're confident your shifts are solid and the interrupt switch is working then I would put it in the pond and give it a go..

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I had actually thought I was putting it into gear rather quickly. At least I made a conscious effort to try to move the lever fast.

I'll check to see if there is any resistance to the cable's movement causing it to not be put into gear as fast as it should. I goofed when removing the lower shift cable but I believe it's routed properly after putting things back together upon rehabbing the Mercruser transom.
If it is a V engine need to route it properly around the Wye pipe

rustybronco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update.

I overhauled the Carb to correct it's wanting to stall at times when shifting from Fwd to reverse. The idle mixture screw setting was at 5-1/2 turns out. Float level was about 10mm with a spring loaded needle and seat. It should have been 14mm. Float drop was incorrect as well.

Before starting I had to correct the improper routing and adjustment of the throttle cable. Fired it up and was met with a 2,800 rpm idle. 2,500 rpm with throttle cable disconnected. Idle screw was way off and subsequently had to re-readjust the throttle cable. Installed a prop and now goes into gear with a nice solid clunk. Stalling is gone as well.

Idle is 1K with it warm and in neural. (Spec is 650~700?? in gear and in water.)

Funny how everything on this boat has been found in a "jacked with" condition.