Alpha 1 Gen 1 oil fill hose

KaptKaos

Recruit
I recently bought a 1984 Tiara with twin 488's and what I believe to be A1G1 drives. Each drive has a reservoir mounted inside the aft locker and a ss braided line that threads into an adapter that threads into the drive upper screw plug hole. When I removed one of them the threads came out with it. It was barely hand tight so I suspect the previous owner stripped it in the fall.

My questions are:

1: Are these reservoirs and lines really necessary?

2: Are there oversized plugs available or some other reasonable fix for the stripped hole?

Engine serial # 6860059

Drive serial # 6832497

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240409_091348.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_091348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240409_091407.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_091407.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 8

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Alpha 1 gen 1 drives did not have reservoirs, that I know of. A 1984 boat orig equipment would have been A1 G1 drives, so maybe you have replacement drives.

I once had a Merc OB with a stripped gearcase drain plug. Someone had tapped it oversize and installed a brass (or bronze) insert like a flush bushing, which used a standard SS plug. Not sure where it came from, but it looked to be specifically made for that purpose. I would do a search on "outboard gearcase stripped plug" and see what you get.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.......
1) The Alpha 1s didn't have 'em originally, so no,....
2) With care, a 3/8" - 16 helicoil can fix that housing,...

KaptKaos

Recruit
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.......
1) The Alpha 1s didn't have 'em originally, so no,....
2) With care, a 3/8" - 16 helicoil can fix that housing,...
Thank you!
I didn't think they were needed as I have never seen a set up like this on G1's.
I will look into a heli coil kit. Thanks much!

KaptKaos

Recruit
Alpha 1 gen 1 drives did not have reservoirs, that I know of. A 1984 boat orig equipment would have been A1 G1 drives, so maybe you have replacement drives.

I once had a Merc OB with a stripped gearcase drain plug. Someone had tapped it oversize and installed a brass (or bronze) insert like a flush bushing, which used a standard SS plug. Not sure where it came from, but it looked to be specifically made for that purpose. I would do a search on "outboard gearcase stripped plug" and see what you get.
Definitely original drives according to serial numbers. The reservoir and hose set up looks like a factory install by Tiara. If its a DIY job by a previous owner, they did a real nice job! I will search that topic. Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Just be very careful you don't get filings into the care when yer opening the hole for the insert, or when shortening it to fit,....

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thank you!
I didn't think they were needed as I have never seen a set up like this on G1's.
I will look into a heli coil kit. Thanks much!
Mercruiser offered a kit to add the drive reservoirs to gen one drives. Very rarely seen them in service. The 1991 and up gen two had it from the factory. You can run them without. Only advantage is having it if the input shaft seal goes you loose drive oil into the bellows and you may not see it until the upper runs low on oil. If it is kept on a hoist or trailer it’s no big deal to check level at the screw , but if boat is in a slip you would see level dropping

theorifice

Cadet
I have the same setup on a 1987 Carver Santego. Dual Sterndrive. Was never quite clear if was necessary to drain and replace the reservoir for a gear oil change. As far as I can tell, it never even gets used up.
1712685476729.png

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
That was a common mod on those drives in the 80's (had one on a pre-Alpha). Mercruiser made the kit for it. Round tank to mount inside engine compartment, thru-hull fitting for the hose and hose to connect to the vent plug.

KaptKaos

Recruit
Thanks for replies everyone. I decided to make the necessary repair and keep the reservoirs. They are clear cylinders mounted inside. One was just laying in the locker and leaked out. That was a fun clean up. lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240410_110232.jpg
    Screenshot_20240410_110232.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 3

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks for replies everyone. I decided to make the necessary repair and keep the reservoirs. They are clear cylinders mounted inside. One was just laying in the locker and leaked out. That was a fun clean up. lol
If you have them I think they are worth keeping for sure

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Castrol Super Clean (and the generic "Purple Stuff") is a good degreaser. Use full strength, wait a bit then wipe it down and hose it off.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Yup, that is the same one as the mod kit had in it.