Almost ready for the first run!

2broke4this

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We (my mechanic and I) have had a couple very productive days! I got the pieces for the floor cut and test-fitted, got the gas tank back in and re-attached, got the trim working (after a few well-placed taps), got the steering working (MUCH thanks to a search on iBoats, I can return the steering cable I bought), got the new fuel pump in, all the instruments seem to be working (even the lighter adapter works!), got the engine cover put back together, and it will have four seats for the first run. I put the new stereo in when I ran out of important things that I could do myself... all I'm waiting for is for Larry to rebuild the carb and to help me change the water pump impellor! For the first run, I just wanted to have her put together enough to use and to be safe. If she runs the way I'm hoping and I don't have any major issues to deal with, the floor will be glassed in and I'll be a happy camper! I just don't want to do the fiberglass work before I am absolutely sure the boat is going to behave and I won't have to rip anything out to find a leak or something that I missed. I still need to do some woodwork at the back to cover the battery and the trim pump, but the boat has been covered since I got it and has stayed nice and dry during storms, so it will be okay for a few days. I also need to put the seats in the bow back together, but it will wait until after the first run. I was hoping to have it in the water tomorrow, but my optimism is dying... I doubt Larry will get the carb done today, but we'll see!

If you want to see where I've come from with this thing, check out this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=190026

Now for some new pics....

Looking forward from the stern...
2515597_66_full.jpg

Looking back...
2515597_67_full.jpg

The gauges all work!
2515597_68_full.jpg

The new cd player (anti-skip AND an input for cheap on clearance)
2515597_69_full.jpg

The back, after I picked up the junk
2515597_71_full.jpg

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Have a great day!

-Carl

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Almost ready for the first run!

yes remember it well, you're doing a great job.

2broke4this

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! I can't wait to be on the water, but I'm trying to be reasonable and wait until I know it's going to be safe and reliable to get out there. I forgot to list that I replaced the bilge pump and ran new ducts for the blower. The bilge pump was tiny 360gph and dead and the blower ducts were cracked and falling apart.

I have learned so much from taking on this project and from this forum! I think first-time boaters should start with an older boat that needs some work (although maybe not THIS much) so they can learn what all can happen when you don't maintain one. I'm amazed at how solid most of this boat actually was, considering how long it sat outside uncovered. They did a pretty good job on so many things, but there were a few places where I was flabbergasted. It looked like the guy who put the vinyl up on one side was drunk! There were so many extra screws and holes on the port side. That, and the places where the floor was rotten the worst (under the driver's seat) had rusted screws holding it all together.

Doing the work myself has been satisfying, but I'm not sure that I'll ever undertake this kind of project again. Although, if I knew what I was getting into from the start.... hmmmm..... Maybe a smaller boat...

Anyway, I just want to say thanks for all the help and comments!

-Carl

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

hate to tell you Carl, but it's addictive. you'll see another, for a very low cost, and drag it home. i've had as many as 4 in the back yard. but i'm retired and i don't get any grief, because everyone knows how i enjoy bringing one back to life. i've never made a cent, other than covering my expenses, but it keeps me busy, and happy.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Looks good Carl! I know you will be happy to splash that boat.
TD is right,it is addicting.I have 2 boats and a jet ski. One boat for sale but thinking about what will catch my eye and i'll drag another one home.:)

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats an alright lookin boat..I like that dash lay out very detailed. your going to have some fun in her..good to see you have the stubbie holders ready lol.. top stuff! keep up the good work

2broke4this

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I was up until 5:30 this morning working on the boat, got everything done (or so I thought) and had her idling very nicely on the muffs. Took her to the lake this morning for the maiden voyage... She floats, doesn't take on water (at least in the back few feet), and the engine runs.... now I just need to figure out why it dies when I put the boat into gear! Today may have been the shortest trip to the lake ever! Oh well... at least I know the van (1997 GMC Savana 2500) will pull her well and I didn't have to be towed in! There's always next weekend! I'll keep you posted.

-Carl

2broke4this

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yeah, one more good thing... I got to ride my old jet ski today (sold it to my boss) and I didn't have to put gas in it! Doesn't really soothe the sting completely though....