Alloy props. Polish or Paint?

WillsPride

Seaman Apprentice
G'day All, I have just located a 52 year old used alloy prop for my '67 Evinrude 60HP SportFour. I'm told it's called a 'Power Propeller'

The prop is in very good condition given its age-are props of this vintage painted just for looks, or as an anti corrosion measure? Should I sand back the original worn paint and repaint it? Would a quality epoxy enamel suffice?

Would polishing the alloy make any difference?

My boat is a trailer boat and is only in the water when being used. Both salt and fresh.

Cheers William.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
stainless oem props were painted because the labor in polishing is expensive

the original paint was not high quality, more akin to a rattle can of krylon. it was intended to keep the prop looking clean until installed on the boat.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Scott another reason s/s props were painted was anti-theft .The thief's would basically pass by an old black prop assuming it was aluminum.I have a good friend that owns a prop shop and he,s run into that quite often.The owners are stating that they painted them for that reason..

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
There was a post about polishing aluminum props to a bright finish and compare to un polished.
There indeed was a measurable improvement with the polished props but hardly worth the effort.

WillsPride

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Guys :) A job for a rainy windy day when the boat stays in the drive! Boat Bling :)