All Hail RODBOLT

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been reading this Yamaha Trouble/Repair forum for quite sometime.<br /><br />I have learned more than I could possibly have imagined.<br /><br />I owe all of this to Rodbolt and his selfless technical help. He is an asset of incredible value and I want to publically thank him.<br /><br />RODBOLT: Again, thank you. You not only saved me hundreds and hundreds of dollars, and taught me tons of info about my motor, but most importantly, your knowledge of Yamaha engines has kept me on the water, doing what I love best, fishing.<br /><br />Without your help, I would have had my boat hauled and fixed by a boatyard, which would have kept me high and dry way way more than I would be happy with.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: All Hail RODBOLT

John<br /> while I am glad I could help some dont give allocades to just me. there are many others that post with equal knowledge and dedication. I just happen to remember things. I enjoy posting and do a lot while chatting with my girlfriend in venezuela. I have done this mechanical and machine shop stuff since I was in about the third grade. my dad gave me my first chiltons manual for lawnmowers then. in the ensuing 35 years or so I have done about 7 years of technical schools and 3 years of navy electronics schools.<br /> its just a way to pay back some of the good fortune I have enjoyed with machines over the years. boating is expensive. thats all their is to it. some dealers and techs are not very honest nor meticulous with customer funds. while I dont mind spending someone elses money I try not to waste it.<br /> I have found over the years that if one follows the service manual to the letter things work, barring misprints :) :) . usually a failure of one component was caused by another. if you fix just the failure and not the cause odds are it will fail again. but spread the praise about some. so many others have helped me over the years that I could not thank them all so I pass it on :) <br /> good luck and keep posting

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am lucky to have two certified Yamaha techs at yards in my vicinity. They are very good and will help with a random question once in a while, but they are busy and if my motor is not actually one of their current jobs, they just don't have time to deal with a lot of interruptions.<br /><br />They don't have e-mail or message boards - you have to call them, pull them away from what they are doing (or hope they'll call you back). With this board techs like Rodbolt can answer questions at their convenience which is a huge difference. (I'll bet he'd get a hell of lot done on the job if every question posted to this board came in as a phone call!).<br /><br />So, again, thanks Rodbolt, Ray, et al. This is truly a case where computer technology has made life better for all of us - but their willingness to help is obviously the top factor making it happen.<br /><br />And one other last word of thanks, I really appreciate how much these guys try not to "talk down" to us amateur mechanics.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Richly deserved praise for rodbolt. I am amazed at the time he makes to help others on this board. I am semiretired, high performance and racing only now and still don't have the time he makes for this board. I have learned a lot about the newer regular use engines reading his posts. THANKS rodbolt.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

swist<br /> I am human :) <br /> I try not to talk down to anyone. however sometimes when someone posts about a problem and they say we just kept on running it till she quit I have problems. we were all amuatuers at one point. lord knows the knowledge I have comes from many late nights with the books and more skin and blood loss than I care to recount.<br /> like I say <br /> I am jusy happy when I can help someone with a problem. odds are they are going to attepmt it anyway so I may as well tell them. they can believe it or not.<br /> I usually contract my services to various marinas and boat yards in the area. I have been here most all my life. the property I live on was purchased by my great grandfather in 1885.<br /> if I am wrong or worse everyone has my name and address.<br /> its not uncommon to have a net fisherman call or show up with a dead outboard at 2 am.<br /> most my family commercial fished or crabbed or both so I got familiar with it quick. I know most the time what shortcuts will last and what ones wont.factory schools are nice but to many instructors have never worked in the field. I have dissasembled and reassembled powerheads and gear cases with headlights on the back of another truck on the beach many nights<br />what I can do and what I will do are two different things,depending on what is required.<br /> but all I can say to the amature is try to figgue out when your in to deep and when your not. sometimes that special tool is required for a reason other times you can work around it. normally I advise to read then reread the manual until you think you have a proceder memorized and understand why that procedure is called for. otherwise your sunk :) <br /> but as long as I can help I guess I will keep posting<br /> just gotta learn to stay off the "Dockside Chat" site :) :)

fastkenny

Seaman

I feel the need to add my .02<br /><br />During the past year, I bought a 16 year old Grady White with original twin 150 carb'd Yamahas. I had to make a decision to buy the boat without a sea trial, at a VERY attractive price. While pretty good mechanically, at the time I knew next to nothing about outboards in general and Yamahas in particular. Before I completed the sale, I was lucky enough to stumble across this site. I searched the site for any reference to my motors and read scores of posts about the most common problems and fixes. More times than not, the author of the most valuable info was Rodbolt. I learned enough to ask the right questions, talk intellegently to the mech who worked on the motors, and make an informed decision / take a calculated risk on the boat. Since then, based on info from Rodbolt and others on this site, I've fixed all the minor stuff on my own and now own a classic boat with great motors for about half what I might have paid. I continue to learn from this site almost daily and have even been able to pass on good advise to others!<br />Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with the rest of us!

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will second fastkenny's comments<br /><br />This past year I purchased a 95 Grady 208 with 175 Yamaha that was in need of much TLC. Having a limited budget I did a few searches on the web and found the iboats forum with these characters Rodbolt and Ray who were passing out incredible information on a daily basis on how to keep our favorite toys running. Its quite amazing when you think about to see them answering questions for people from Florida, to Australia, to California and the South Pacific sometimes all in the same day. <br /><br />Now with many questions answered by them, a wiring fix, carb rebuild, fuel pumps replaced, impeller kit, thermostats, shaft bushing, plugs and a poppet later my old motor is purring. I have saved a lot of dollars, but more importantly now have a very good understanding of the basic workings of these motors and am much more confident that if something did go sour while running offshore I’m in a much better position to deal with it.<br /><br />Thanks Rodbolt and Ray

n4rj

Cadet

Thanks, also.<br /><br />Rodbolt's suggestion that Yamaha "might" help with the cost on a new powerhead saved me $ 2,000. , as I was about to throw in the towel and order another new motor. I had actually found the new(but smaller) engine, knowing I would be unhappy with the lower speed.<br />The tech called and said Yamaha had agreed to come to the rescue $$$$$$.<br /><br />Thanks, Rodbolt

snowmon

Seaman

We're all very fortunate to have such a resource. I know whenever I post looking for answers I'm hoping that Rodbolt replies. <br />Thank you.

Cruisin_Along

Recruit

I would like to add my thanks to rodbolt. I have been frustrated with a coldstart problem on my 2002 Yamaha 60 HP 4-stroke since 'day 1', when the warm starts are instantaneous and reliable. His comment about not advancing the start or neutral throttle when cold was the first I had heard of this. Now I can't wait for next summer to give it a try!<br /><br />I would also like to thank the others who take the time to give us advice.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

I second everything that everyone else has said. Rodbolt has taken the time to answer my questions on electrics, and other things, many times. Thank you Rodbolt.<br /><br />Steve

IchBins1

Recruit

Hello all,<br /><br />my name is Chris and I'm living in Germany. I've been reading this forum for some months now and, discovering this topic, thought to snap at the chance to introduce myself and tell about my impressions.<br /><br />Having made an apprenticeship as a car mechanic and being interested in all kinds of machines, it is no miracle that I came to boating one day. My father belongs to the "sailors party" for a long time, so water is not new to me... Since june I own a 13" Fletcher boat with a 40 hp Suzuki DT. As Suzukis are not the most widespread engines and I had no service manual, I started to gather information (just in case, you know... Always be prepared ;-)<br /><br />I quickly realised that there was a person called RODBOLT, always giving helpful and sophisticated pieces of information to the community. Sometimes maybe with a little bit of black humour (sorry, my vocabulary is not sooo good, maybe something else would fit better. Sarcasm?), but hey, things have to be brought to the point. Somebody showing a pic of totally worn pistons due to the lack of oil and asking if the use of emery paper would bring this machine back to life deserves a bit of verbal beats, doesn't he?<br />To come to the essence: Rodbolts suggestions are straight to the point and worthy, showing lots of experience and also interest in other peoples problems. Of course I do NOT want to derogate other contributors posts, there ARE many others giving helpful hints. But for me, he is a kind of outstanding person, being personally called for help in the topics from time to time and having time to explain things to the needed depth.<br /><br />To come to an end: I wish you all a happy winter season (or not-season regarding boating?) with time to get things done, luckily having such great resources of information around!<br /><br />Chris

fishie1

Cadet

Rodbolt<br /><br />I think you're much too modest. You do an incredible service to the boating community. The patience you exhibit while sharing your tremendous knowledge is appreciated greatly by all. Thanks.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

All I can say .. to use Rodbolt's own words.. is "Keep on posting"... for all of our sakes... ;)