Alignment tool

wileecoyote

Seaman Apprentice
I'm trying to make the gimble bearing to engine coupler alignment tool. I need to know what the measurements of the overall tool length,diameter, and legnth from the end to shoulders. Thanks,Mark

Trent

Captain
Re: Alignment tool

align_tool_w.gif
<br /><br />You can make the total length as long as you like.<br /><br />Or you might like this one better.<br />
modification.jpg

Richard R

Seaman Apprentice

Curious if this tool would work on an 87 OMC Cobra / GM 4.3?<br /><br />If not, while the topic is here does anyone have a diagram for one?<br /><br />I might be missing something but it seems like some information (diameters, tolerances) are missing?<br /><br />Thx,<br />Doc

Richard R

Seaman Apprentice

ahhh more data....<br /><br />Thanks Trent!!<br /><br />I have never had to use one yet so I am guessing here, say +.000 / -.001 on diameters for tolerance would make for a fairly tight fit on that length and three diameters, or +.000 / -.005 for a looser fit, easier to slip into parts?<br /><br />Sorry, old machinist habits... more data :) <br /><br />Any thoughts?

Homerr

Commander

Doc,<br /><br />I'm a machinist too.<br /><br />I put mine +.001 and it fits real nice. I'd say a bit on the loose side if anything.<br />Made it out of 01 steel. Turned out real nice.<br /><br />Made it approx. 3 ft long. You can get some real leverage on this baby!<br /><br />H.

Richard R

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Homer,<br /><br />Handy profession huh... thanks for the tolerance / length info, hard to do anything without knowing which direction to go.. surprised me with the plus side.<br /><br />This is a bit off topic I suppose but I notice the tool is for either a Alpha or Bravo and modified at that. <br />Anyone know what is the difference between Alpha / Bravo is? <br /><br />Which one is an 87 OMC / GM 4.3? <br />Which tool number would I need for my setup? <br /><br />yeah I'm a newbie at this stuff, but I'm trying.<br /><br />Ltr,<br />Doc

wileecoyote

Seaman Apprentice

I guess I wasn't the only one looking for those specs! I saw the first image but it doesn't show the overall diameter. Thanks a bunch,Mark