Align steering wheel spokes on a rotary system?

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer
My steering wheel spokes are not level when my motor is centered. I looked at the steering wheel, but either it does not come off, or won't come off (I did not want to force it and I don't have an appropriate puller). I'm hoping maybe there is something that can be done with the box under the helm, or maybe at the motor. I looked at the Teleflex install manuals (not sure if mine is a Teleflex, but it was worth a try) and it only mentioned being sure your wheel is in a certain turned position before making the motor connection.

Thanks for you help,

Eric

PS. This picture was taken for the gauges, so it's not the best, but it does show a bit of the steering system under the helm.

Attachments

• IMG_5311.jpg
    IMG_5311.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 2

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Align steering wheel spokes on a rotary system?

Looks like a teleflex helm in the picture. The instructions say to put the bottom of the wheel at 2:00 oclock. before rolling in the cable. Motor disconnected. Put the wheel at 2:00, Feed cable into upper helm entry spigot until touches gear and turn wheel counter clockwise until it won't go any further. Listen for click when cable is locked. You need to do it this way so R and L has the same movement . This never worked perfect for me.

My marine wheel has several keyways for fine adjustment. Yours might have that but to tell you have to get it off. To take it off back-off the nut several threads, (even with the end of the stud) and with steady pressure all around(might need an extra hand for this) rap the center stud sharply with a hard plastic, lead, leather, etc hammer. Don't use steel you'll wreck the threads. Wheel should pop off with a couple of raps.

There is a hitch pin you must remove where the cable goes into the helm and then use it to push in the little hole to release the cable locking device and pull the cabel out a bit. Then rotate the wheel to get the cabel out.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you. I will look at it more closely this weekend.

fishrdan

Admiral

How far is the wheel off and do you have any adjustment at the outboard's tilt tube?

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I'd say about 40 to 45 degrees off. Enough that I notice and would like to fix it (if not too much work, otherwise it moves lower on the to do list). This picture may be close. I'll look again tomorrow (boat is 60 miles away at my dad's place).

I'll take a look at the tilt tube. Never really scrutinized it before. Putting rebuilt carbs back on, so now I'll be looking at more things to optimize.

IMG_5314.jpg

Q_ball

Seaman

I have basically the same thing and had the same issue. My instructions said put the TDC at 10:00 position then feed cable but was still of 5-10 degrees one way or the other. I put blue painters tape around the bezel and on the top center of the wheel. Make a mark on the wheel hub and the bezel wher you line it up to feed the cable, now center the drive and make another mark on the bezel from TDC of the wheel hub. The distance from the center line and the last mark you made is the distance you were off when feeding the cable in. Take that same distance from your 10:00 mark and refeed. It might take a few times but you'll get there. I'm still restoring my project so the console keeps getting pulled out and now with my marks I can get it perfect every time. Hope this helps.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Mark how far it is off, run the cable out and move the wheel the amount it is off and reinstall the cable, it is a pain and may take several tries but you will get it eventually, that is how I did mine and I am the same way, it wasn't hurting anything but it wasn't right and really bothered me.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Mine was off about that much also, I just took the 6 screw out of the wheel and turned it clockwise one space and put it back on.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I tried that, but the wheel won't budge and I was not in the mood to force it. I was looking for another option (path of least resistance) before going back to that option.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Well I was wrong in my estimate, it's more like 90 degrees off. And I did not see anything to adjust, at least not anything that might give me 90 degrees back. Here's a few more pictures in case I'm missing something.

IMG_1874.jpgIMG_1872.jpgIMG_1901.jpg