Alarms stay on after motors are running

31footer

Recruit
Hello, I'm new to this forum but after looking it over, I can see that there are alot of knowledgeable people here.
I have a 2000 Mariah boat with twin 5.7 mercruisers with Bravo Three out drives. Both motors only have 53 hours on them. The alarms that come on when you turn the key on stay on even after you start the engines. We have tried to remedy the problem for the last 5 days. Here is what we have tried so far.
1. One of the out drive containers was low so we filled it
2. We unplugged the out drive oil sensor, then the temp sensor, then the oil pressure sensor on both motors and both alarms still continuosly stay on.
The boat is not in the water, were running it with water muffs. The boat has not been in the water for about 5 years it was a bank repo and we had to put in new igniton switches because when we purchased the boat the bank did not have keys to it.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alarms stay on after motors are running

Are you sure you unplugged the correct switches and not the gauge senders? They are not the same units.

Is this engine EFI or carbed?

The fact that this is happening on both engines, and I assume it started at the same time, makes me think something else may have happened. Any work done on the boat just prior to this happening?

31footer

Recruit

Hello, It is carbed. We unplugged the wires on the thermostat housing and the oil pressure plug behind the distributor and the wires on the oil container on the motor for the drive units. The only work we have done is put new key switches in.
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We unplugged the wires on the thermostat housing and the oil pressure plug behind the distributor and the wires on the oil container on the motor for the drive units.

You said that earlier, what I asked is are you sure you did the alarm switches, and not the gauge senders.

The only work we have done is put new key switches in.
So, you didn't have the problem before the new switches were installed, but with them, you have a problem.

Post a picture of the wires on your key switches AND alarm buzzer.