ALARM GOES OFF

mcpo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1989 Evinrude 70 with VRO, on a Bass Tracker Pro 17. I took it out this past weekend for the first time since October. Went out, fished a while, started back to the ramp, just idling along slowly and the alarm horn in the remote control box went off with a steady/constant loud sound. I immediately looked back at the motor to see that the pee fitting was shooting a normal straight stream of water and my water pressure gauge on the dash was working just fine, so I shut her down anyway. I waited a couple mins, then turned on the ignition, not starting the engine, and the horn still went off steady and loud sound, even without starting the engine. It did this several times, so I turned it off, dropped the trolling motor and continued on my way for about 15 mins. Then I went back looked at the VRO tank, oil level was fine (almost 3/4 full), but I pumped the primer a couple times (it was very hard to pump) and turned on the ignition again and the horn did not sound this time, so I started the engine. No horn sound, water pressure great, and smoke from the engine as normal, indicating to me I was getting oil through the VRO system. I went ahead and ran the boat all the way to the ramp using the engine, which took about 10 mins....I ran it back and forth a few times at full throttle to idle and the horn never went off again. I trailered the boat and came home puzzled. So, is my VRO system ok, my water pump ok or what? Does anyone know?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: ALARM GOES OFF

Did you feel the engine to make sure it was not an overheat? A steady tone on that engine only indicates a problem with the cooling system. Might check the t-stat. It can stick closed and you would still have a good pee stream. Possible some partial plugging of the water intakes???? Were you fishing around weeds or anything?

mcpo1234

Recruit

yes, i felt engine, etc. and it was not hot, nor was i fishing around weeds or anything. i had only been out there about 15 mins when it started raining and i headed back. water was clean and clear where i was fishing. but...i will check the thermostat. do you think it could have been the impeller? i have not replaced it for 2 years.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

The fact that you turned the engine to the "on" position but didn't start it and the overheat alarm still when off probably means your overheat switch is grounding out. Make sure the tan wire out the cylinder head isn't grounding out with the block, as this would cause your problem.<br /><br />Since you haven't done it in two years, it would be safe maintenance to go ahead and replace the tstat, waterpump, and pressure relief valve and grommet.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

If you use the rig a lot, like I use mine, change the impeller out. 2 to 3 years is a good cycle.<br /><br />My 84' 50hp would do the same thing on occasion. Leave it set a few minutes and then crank up and go. <br /><br />Another thought, I believe the water telltale (pee hole) connection comes off the bottom of the exhaust cover. What may have happened is you got air bound in the water passage....that is the block doesn't fill up with water.<br /><br />Look at the hose from the pee hole to where it connects to the exhaust cover. It should run up over the engine and not along the bottom of the pan. Running up over the engine helps to vent the block of air when the engine cranks up and the block fills with water.<br /><br />If you havn't checked the t-stat for a while, would be a good time to do that.

mcpo1234

Recruit

good ideas...i'll check it all, cause i haven't for a while. appreciate it

mcpo1234

Recruit

good ideas...i'll check it all, cause i haven't for a while. appreciate it

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Go ahead & do the water pump & t-stats as have been recommended. The engine may have overheated due to a plastic bag or other temporary obstruction to the water pick-up vents and (A BIG MAY) not be a problem at all.