alarm coming on and motor cutting off

cwalls5656

Cadet
150 hp v6 johnson.
new water pump was put on last feb. i can run the boat across the lake all morning. then the alrm comes on(the alarm in the throttle) then the motor starts to loose power and cuts off.
its pumping water out like it should when the water pump is working. no smoke coming from engine. after it cuts off, i can start it right back up and ride for anywhere between 1 min, to 3 or 4 min, and it does it again. i mix the gas and oil so i know its getting oil.. but i am not sure if it was oil injected before i bought it.
i can run the boat for 3 to 4 hours some times before this happens.
i fished from 4 am to 10 am last saturday before the alarm started coming on?
any ideas what may be wrong?
the boat is a 84 pro craft and the motor is a 150 hp v6 johnson gt

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: alarm coming on and motor cutting off

You might tell us the model number so we can determine what alarms you have. They vary with different years. Also, is it a steady beep on the alarm or some other pattern?

cwalls5656

Cadet

You might tell us the model number so we can determine what alarms you have. They vary with different years. Also, is it a steady beep on the alarm or some other pattern?

its an 84 procraft 1750? (title dont have model on it)
the slower you go, it just beeps, the faster i go, its a steady alarm

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

We need the model number of the "engine", not the boat.

cwalls5656

Cadet

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

We need the model number of the "engine", not the boat.

84 johnson 150 gt v6 outboard

clanton

Rear Admiral

High speed overheat= water deflectors under the cylinder heads, or waterpump seals leaking, and pump sucking air.