Alarm Beep Driving me crazy on '97 Sea Ray with Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha 1

denyknap

Cadet
I recently purchased a 97 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 4.3 liter Alpha 1 and the alarm stays on all the time when the key is in the run position and the motor is not running. All fluids are good to go and it does it even when the boat has not been run so it can't be temperature related. I have to believe it is a sensor or a short issue. If anyone has any suggestions on if i am on the right track and were to start looking first, or if you have another idea on what might cause this, your help would be greatly appreciated!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alarm Beep Driving me crazy on '97 Sea Ray with Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha 1

Welcome to iboats.

The simplest solution is to turn the key off when the motor is not in use.
Why would you leave it on?

Accessories should be wired separately.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

it's SUPPOSED to... the alarm is indicating that you have no oil pressure... turn the key off

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi there, im with ya that stupid alarm went off on my dads old boat all the time when nothing was wrong! When you turned the key it beeped like 10 times, we found the little speaker and just held a finger over it when starting lol.

denyknap

Cadet

Welcome to iboats.

The simplest solution is to turn the key off when the motor is not in use.
Why would you leave it on?

Accessories should be wired separately.

You are right roscoe, there is no need to have that key in the on position but you would be amazed how often that thing is sounding. That is definitely what I do but it is really loud at the helm and in the previous two boats that I owned that had this alarm it would beep for a second or two when you first turned on the key just like a car so you know the alarm works but would then shut off. I can't imagine designing something to work that way on purpose and If I would really like to find a "fix" if possible.

denyknap

Cadet

Hi there, im with ya that stupid alarm went off on my dads old boat all the time when nothing was wrong! When you turned the key it beeped like 10 times, we found the little speaker and just held a finger over it when starting lol.

Wow! I'm just glad mine doesn't add insult to injury by beeping when I turn it off. Thanks for the silver lining Scott.
I'm still hoping someone out there can provide me with a "fix". So far your suggestion is the most useful!

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Leave the motor running and if everything is ok it wont beep.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the "fix" would be to disconnect the alarm trigger wire from the oil pressure switch on the engine. :rolleyes:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

One can assume that the reason you need to leave the key in the RUN position with the engine not running is that the stereo system is wired that way. If this is the case, why power the stereo AND the ignition that way. Wire the stereo to the fuse panel. Oh yes -- we know -- we might forget to turn it off. A MASTER power switch at the helm solves that problem in that it kills all accessories when you leave the boat. That switch goes in the line that feeds the fuse panel.

denyknap

Cadet

the "fix" would be to disconnect the alarm trigger wire from the oil pressure switch on the engine. :rolleyes:
that does not seem prudent! "well my motor blew up but at least i didn't have to listen to that stupid alarm!" lol

denyknap

Cadet

Hi Silvertip,
Stereo works fine with key in the off positon and I have a Perko master master switch back by the battery. The problem isn't under way. its when i splash the boat and do cold starts where it takes a bit to get it warmed up. I can live with it. I just know that I have never run into a boat where it isn't a short beep to let you know the alarm works when you first turn the key then it turns off. I suspect someone will suggest ear plugs before the post is done! lol Thanks for the suggestion.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

that does not seem prudent!
That's because it isn't

You COULD easily install a momentary switch that you hold to silence the alarm or even set up a relay that will silence it till it goes off and then reset to allow it to sound again should something go wrong

denyknap

Cadet

That's because it isn't

You COULD easily install a momentary switch that you hold to silence the alarm or even set up a relay that will silence it till it goes off and then reset to allow it to sound again should something go wrong
That has possibilities as a useful solution. I will need to check into how something like that would work. Although I don't want to rely on it getting turned back on as I have multiple kids that run this boat. but something that is a temporary off switch or a relay that will automatically reset would be the answer in this case. Thanks for your input. That's much better than ear protection!
D

oldjeep

Admiral

That has possibilities as a useful solution. I will need to check into how something like that would work. Although I don't want to rely on it getting turned back on as I have multiple kids that run this boat. but something that is a temporary off switch or a relay that will automatically reset would be the answer in this case. Thanks for your input. That's much better than ear protection!
D

Its easy, you just splice a normally closed momentary switch into one side of the buzzer wiring. Hold the switch down while you want the alarm off - when you let go of it then your alarm will work again.

Here - enough to do 4 boats for $4
Pushbutton Normally-Closed Momentary Switch(4-Pack) : Pushbutton Switches | RadioShack.com

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For an alarm that sounds for all of 2 seconds (all the time it takes me to turn from "on" to "start") I can't justify the work of putting a switch in. To each their own I suppose.

oldjeep

Admiral

For an alarm that sounds for all of 2 seconds (all the time it takes me to turn from "on" to "start") I can't justify the work of putting a switch in. To each their own I suppose.

If you have the TKS system with the carb then when the engine is cold you turn the key to on for several seconds before starting. Its also pretty irritating when you are docked right outside a resturaunt and it doesn't start on the first try. The alarms are extrememly loud. I've thought about adding the pushbutton a few times myself.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ahh the TKS. Thanks. I'm carbed also but I can set the throttle where I want before putting the key in. My alarm is very annoying as well but luckily it is rarely heard.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I've come to known alarms and like the sound. It's the sound that means, "we are going boating"!! Once you get above a certain size I think they all have the same loud buzzing alarm.

denyknap

Cadet

Another silver lining. Life is good!

UncleWillie

Captain

... You COULD easily install a momentary switch that you hold to silence the alarm or even set up a Relay that will silence it till it goes off and then reset to allow it to sound again should something go wrong

How to wire an automatically resetting Relay.
AlarmMute.jpg