Air Leak?

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all, Taking out my boat last weekend, I noticed a bit of a slight air whistle coming from the engine at times. I recently pulled the cylinder and water jacket covers off to replace the thermostat and cleaned up the water passages too. I scraped off the old gasket from the cover mating surfaces and used new gaskets before re-assembling... However I didn't use a gasket sealant when reinstalling. Should have I? I suspect there might be some very tiny air leaks cuaisng the air sound coming from under the cowl? Sometimes it is a very faint whistle.

I suppose I will remove the covers again, hopefully saving the gaskets and apply some gasket sealer. This is the sealer I have: http://permatex.com/products/Automo.../auto_Permatex_Form-A-Gasket_No_2_Sealant.htm

Is that suitable? It is rated for up to 400 degrees F.

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Air Leak?

if it was leaking air it would leak water. carbs sometimes whistle. does your have an air silencer, what motor is it?

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Air Leak?

if it was leaking air it would leak water. carbs sometimes whistle. does your have an air silencer, what motor is it?

Hmm ok well no signs of moisture in the lower cowling pan so that might be ok! Yes the motor has an air silencer. It is a 1986 Johnson 15Hp 2-stroke.

Could be the carb whistling... Is this just a normal thing for a carb or does that indicate an issue with the carb somewhere?