Air in Aluminum Pontoons

crb340

Cadet
I have a 2001 17ft Odyssey Pontoon with a 50HP Mercury 2 stroke. Boat always seems to lean towards the left (when driving straight with a person on each side of the boat). I thought that maybe the left pontoon might be filled with some water so I opened the drain and let out some pressurized air. Did not appear to be any water. There is also an air valve (like a car tire valve) on the top of the pontoon. Does anyone know how much air (PSI) should be in each pontoon? Thanks in advance.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Air in Aluminum Pontoons

I'm not sure why it has an air valve. You don't generally pressurize them. There's a whole lotta surface area and even 1psi is going to be one pound per square inch of stress on the toons. Ballpark, 17 feet times 12 inches per foot times 20 inch diameter times 3.14 pi equals about 12,800 pounds of pressure at just 1psi. :eek:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I'm betting that someone used the valve on the top to check for leaks at one time. Don't air up the logs. It's a good thing to hear pressure come out. That means you have no leaks. They build up pressure from the heat of the day and the sun beating down on them..

crb340

Cadet

Thanks for your help. I did buy the boat used from the original owner. I am pretty sure he did not have the valves added. They look like they are original as far as the proffesional way in which they are installed (on both toons). Really makes me wonder why they are there. The boat was hardly ever used and the toons are in perfect condition, no scratches, marks, dents anywhere (boat was never kept on the water, always left on trailer when not in use).

Makes sense not to pressurize the toons though. Thanks again.

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where is your battery located for the engine and if its a 2 stroke do you have a external oil tank?

crb340

Cadet

It is a 2 stroke and has the oil injection reservoir inside of the engine cover. The battery is located just in front of the motor sitting on the deck. The fuel tank is located within the body of the pontoon at the very back on the left side which is also a reason I think the boat tilts to the left (it is an enclosed tank and not removable and quite large, probably a 15 or 20 gallon tank).

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That's an additional 120 pounds on that side. Does it list to port with just you and a full tank of fuel?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

also what is the seating arrangement? most have the wrap around soft on the port side and the console on the starboard. how does it sit in the water with no one aboard?

crb340

Cadet

It has an L shaped seat on the port side. I am not sure how it sits in the water as I have only had it in the water twice and I have to beach it since I don't have a dock yet. I am pretty sure that it is just a poor design as most of the seating is on the port side. It is also a pretty small pontoon boat so it does not take much weight to cause a leaning condition. I might just try to add some ballast so that the weight is equal on both sides with no passengers.