air cooled 2 stroke oil reccomendation

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Some folks have been advising chainsaw 2 stroke oil for the aircooled 2 stroke outboards.<br /> While this surely would work fine I did a little research and in generic service manuals <br />from 1960 to 1984 without exception the aircooled motors advise outboard oil sometimes even stating BIA certified.It appears that any quality 2 stroke oil should work.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: air cooled 2 stroke oil reccomendation

We have been using standard outboard oil for years in our 1965 Westbend 3.5 hp air cooled outboard with no ill effects. We never knew that we were supposed to use anything else because it was air cooled.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yeahbut... :D <br /><br /><br />Wasn't the TC-W standard after all that? Or did the BIA rather than the NMMA set up the first TC-W standard?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

My '77 manual states to use Evinrude Lubricant or other BIA certified TC-W lubricant.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The Boating Industry of America (BIA) first came up with the first TC-W oil rating in the late '60's and early '70's.<br /><br />In later years the BIA was changed to the National Marine Manufacturer's Association (NMMA) which has since kept up with the oil certification programs.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I had no idea it was that old. Blows that theory out of the water! :D <br /><br />Does anyone know if it caused the oils to be made ashless or was that TC-W2 (88?) or W3? Just one last kick at the old can. :)

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To my humble low profiled knowledge base ... air cooled engines run hotter and need non-outboard 2 cycle oils such as lawnmowers and chain saw type oils. <br /><br />Outboard oils are made to stand lower temperature of water cooled engines.<br /><br />In reality I have also used outboard oil in my old air cooled Clinton-jet engine and it ran ok

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my original manual for my 1972 2.5 Tanaka, says 25 - 1 sae 30. i've just been running 24-1 siphoning out of my old '55 15 hp rudes tank. the engine only holds 1/3 gallon.

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would not use a aircooled oil in a a aircooled outboard. You will run into plug fouling and combustion chamber deposit issue do to Sulfated ash buildup.

Laddies

Banned

Back in the early days of aircooled snowmobile engines TCW rated oil was responcible for many a burned piston. TCW = Two Cycle Watercooled a air cooled engine runs at 1200+ degrees cyl. temp. and watercooled run a 212- degrees cyl. temp.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Walmart 2 cycle TCW3 says it's <br /><br />"also suitable for use in snowmobiles, lawn mowers, chainsaws, and other 2 cycle engines where such an ashless oil is specifed by the equipment manufacturer."

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> <br />Does anyone know if it caused the oils to be made ashless or was that TC-W2 (88?) or W3? Just one last kick at the old can. :)
Around 1966, prior to the then BIA certified oils, both Merc and Johnson-Evinrude had their own brands of ashless oils. Somewhere in my archives I have a 1966 Texaco brochure touting their new ashless OB oil.

gss036

Commander

My Husky chain saw manual says not to use TWC oil designed for water cooled outboards,etc. I don't burn a whole lot of gas in my Husky saw, so I use KLOTZ 100% synthetic motorcycle racing oil for my saw since it is normally running at full throttle 99% of the time. Makes sense to me. There are a lot of stories out there floating around about which oil to use. Chain saws are only $350-450 and the new outboards are $15,000.00-20,000, so I would use what is reccomended by the manufacture.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Ben Walker:<br /> I would not use a aircooled oil in a a aircooled outboard. You will run into plug fouling and combustion chamber deposit issue do to Sulfated ash buildup.
Come on now Ben, you are smarter than that, or am I being baited here?????? :confused: <br /><br />Just because the air cooled engine is setting on an outboard doesnt mean its running cooler. It still needs an air cooled oil!<br /><br />I am not a fan of combination oils, one or both are going to suffer on one end or the other. Thats why I dont like Quicksilver oil, well, one reason anyway.

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lubedude, Aircooled motors used in steady load/throttle environments need ashless lubricants. Thats why Lawnboy, Toro, etc spec TCW3 oils in their aircooled engines. With out variations in throttle and load mettalic ash buildup becomes a real problem.<br /> Have you ever wondered why piston engined air craft and locomotives need ashless oils? Its the same principle.

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Bassin' Fever AKA LubeDude:<br />Just because the air cooled engine is setting on an outboard doesnt mean its running cooler. It still needs an air cooled oil!
Not necessarily. Member Ben Walker is correct. Some air-cooled engines have problems with low-ash oils. How the engine is cooled does not automatically dictate what oil the engine needs. It has more to do with the engine's own operating characteristics and what oil the engine was designed to be used with. That is why it is important to know what the manufacturer recommends. I did not see where it was posted what type of air-cooled outboard was being discussed.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

TheOilDoc said:
Originally posted by Bassin' Fever AKA LubeDude:<br />Just because the air cooled engine is setting on an outboard doesnt mean its running cooler. It still needs an air cooled oil!
Not necessarily. Member Ben Walker is correct. Some air-cooled engines have problems with low-ash oils. How the engine is cooled does not automatically dictate what oil the engine needs. It has more to do with the engine's own operating characteristics and what oil the engine was designed to be used with. That is why it is important to know what the manufacturer recommends. I did not see where it was posted what type of air-cooled outboard was being discussed.

I simply checked all aircooled brands I could find from 1960 to 1989.Without exception all recommended outboard 2 stroke oil some insisting on BIA certified and additionally ocasionally 30 or 40 wt with slightly different ratios.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Steelspike writes: I simply checked all aircooled brands I could find from 1960 to 1989.Without exception all recommended outboard 2 stroke oil some insisting on BIA certified and additionally ocasionally 30 or 40 wt with slightly different ratios.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This reminds me that my old air cooled clinton & Elgin used outboard oil but at a different ration. Cannot remember is it was 24:1 or 32:1

LubeDude

Admiral

Ignorance isn`t necasarily a bad thing as there is always room to learn something. Point taken, lesson learned.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

bwalker: Thats why Lawnboy, Toro, etc spec TCW3 oils in their aircooled engines. With out variations in throttle and load mettalic ash buildup becomes a real problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

bwalker, I dont know what to think of this ... I own a lawnboy mower and it MUST use an air-cooled 2 cycle oil. I used Castrol tc-w3 oil for my Johnson outboard for a while and it said right on the can (tc-w3) NOT to use that oil if the engine is air-cooled. I have also been warned by our local lawnboy dealer that the usage of the dual purpose oils such as Quicksilver and Wallmart 2000 is not recommended ....

cheers ... (again ... nice fish)