Air conditioning - Maybe worst case scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at buying a used cruiser and the seller has used the boat in limited amounts but not connected to shore power in 6+ years. He says that as a result he makes no claim that the air conditioning may or may not work - he just does not know. He seems to have been very honest about everything else and I don't think he is using this as an excuse for it simply not to work. It is a 2000 Doral and I am just wondering - IF I go ahead with the purchase and IF I assume that risk and IF it doesn't work, what are the most likely causes of failure and the costs involved in repairs. I have never had a cruiser before and the AC is one of the main reasons for my purchase so I will be repairing it if neccessary and using it so I really need to know a worst case scenario for this.

mr 88

Commander
Spending 2,000 + - for a new one ,depending on btu"s. I would take a wild guess that it will work ,the only mechanical moving parts are the blower and the water pump. It may need a charge if you dont get any cold air or the condensor freezes up like a block of ice after running for a few hours. Same guy that does house units can do your boat ,takes R 22 refrigerant and will charge you 100 -200 depending on where you live. They sell units that go over your foredeck hatch ,kinda ugly looking but cheaper than the built in one and does the job. You should take the boat for a sea trial at the very least, if not have it surveyed. At that point you can plug it in or make a deal based on the AC working or not working.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
air by itself is likely to draw less than 15A, just plug it in with a dogbone and see. I would think AC is the least of the things to be concerned with. fingers crossed for you. good luck.

mr 88

Commander
air by itself is likely to draw less than 15A, just plug it in with a dogbone and see. I would think AC is the least of the things to be concerned with. fingers crossed for you. good luck.

The water pick up for the AC is usually on the bottom of the hull. Boat must be in water before turning on AC ,unless you want to burn the pick up pump or impeller out.Boat should be sea trialed as I wrote in my first response.If you don't do that or have it surveyed then anything that may not be working is on you. No reason you can't make a offer based on it passing the survey or your sea trial if the seller won't drop her in the water unless he has a deposit in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.