Aftermarket parts

trm

Seaman
In the market for impeller and housings for my merc 120 pre alpha. Am curious about Sierra vs Merc genuine parts. Would like some responses from those who have used Sierra, and whether or not you use them again.<br /><br />Just trying to save a few $<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br /><br />swabbie

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Aftermarket parts

So far, my experiences with Sierra have been positive. I've used bellows, impellers and gaskets and had no problems. Good thing, as the local Merc dealer has a mark up on parts like he's selling them to the government. :eek:

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I use a lot of Sierra and GLM parts that I buy online and have never had a problem.<br />That said, there have been some concerns about aftermarket impellers so for the small price difference I buy Mercruiser waterpumps and impellers.<br />Shop online, screw the stealers!<br />Email me and I'll tell where I buy for best $$$

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I have used glm and sierra and mercruiser.I find no difference.the mercruiser is supposed to last longer.I change the impeller every other year so I am not looking for one to last longer.I dont see any benefit of a mercruiser water pump unless you do a huge amount of hours per year.I mean HUGE.I have also found some aftermarket parts that I like better.Charlie

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bought serria impleller kit once about ten years ago, the shaft seal were a bit bigger than the stock merc at that time ( about .030in) they leaked, always bought merc. part since, 2 years ago I bought a new set of serria 8mm ignition wires, for my 350 magnum, they sucked, they were to long and only lasted one season or about 70hrs and started arching, I have used the bellows without any problems.. I think it really depends on the part you need as to compare oam to aftermarket, Some aftermarket might be better than OAM, and some not...won't always know until you try....If the job is labour intensive then I will not risk a cheaper part, If its a easy repair then I might try to save a few bucks..

trm

Seaman

Thanks to all for the insight.<br /><br />bomar76.. Would surely like to know about your favorite online parts-guy. Don't know your email addy though.<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />swabbie

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmm....thought there was a link on my profile...oh well:<br />bomar76@hotmail.com