Afterfishing in salt water, how long do you flush your motor with fresh water??

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Afterfishing in salt water, how long do you flush your motor with fresh water??

If you've just come in from a 30 minute run, pulled the boat up, and hooked it up; would the thermostate open right away? or in other words, how long does it take for a motor to cool down enough to close it off and have to get it warmed all the way up? Assume daytime temp of 70.

sasto

Captain
Re: Afterfishing in salt water, how long do you flush your motor with fresh water??

Flush in saltwater?.....My boat?....Seldom.

If some of us took care of ourselves as well as our boats...are we going to live any longer? Nah!....Another story.

A scratch here, rust there....= charactor!

"Run what'cha Brung"

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you've just come in from a 30 minute run, pulled the boat up, and hooked it up; would the thermostate open right away? or in other words, how long does it take for a motor to cool down enough to close it off and have to get it warmed all the way up? Assume daytime temp of 70.

Un like a car, the recirculating water is cold. i would say that at idle comming onto the ramp, getting the car and putting the boat on to the trailer, that the t-stat would be closed by the time you go to flush. not to mention the water in the hose will be cold so that to will close the t stat up a lil faster b4 reopening it (if that makes sense)
as far as waiting for the tell tail to get warm, mine is all ways cold, could be the tell tail comes off b4 the t stat i m not sure.