Advice on Smart Tabs Install?

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will be installing the Nauticus Smart Tabs SX that I have had for a while now in the coming weeks. Anyone out there have any advice on how I should go about this? Basically I am looking for some "do This" or "Do Not Do This" type of suggestions.

The Smart Tabs will be going on a 2007 Larson 208 LXi with a Mercruiser 5.0 MPI - Alpha one. I will be installing the version that John (I think that was his name) at Nauticus recommended. These have been sitting in my house for 6 months................ It is sad that I had to wait until winter to improve my ride.

nlain

Commander
Re: Advice on Smart Tabs Install?

First read the instructions completely and understand them, when you locate the mounting areas, check at least twice before you drill, you do not want unused holes in your hull. When you start to drill, run the bit backward until you get thru the gelcoat, this will help keep it from chipping. Get some 4200 sealer to put in the holes and on the threads of the screws to seal and prevent leaks. You want to mount as far outboard as you can for better performance. You want to try and stay away from depth sensors. They are well worth the effort, I like mine and yes I would put them on another boat, they have done everything advertised. I have the original metal version on my boat, here are some photos.

2006_0802Image0019.jpg

2005_1016Image0020.jpg

2005_1016Image0017.jpg

2005_1016Image0016.jpg

2005_1016Image0015.jpg

a70eliminator

Captain

Orion, make sure they can clear your trailer, you may have to adjust boats position a little forward, also I have a question for nlain hope you don't mind a small highjack.

Nlain, I noticed you struts are attached to the point of being almost 90 degrees to the plate, I also have the molded in swim platform and will have to attach mine just like you did, did you have to deviate from the suggested weight requirement for your size boat, I have heard that when the struts mount like that rather then the 45 degree angle that you may have to drop the weight a step or two. What weight are using and what size boat do you have.
Again sorry Orion for hyjack, but this info may prove valuable to you also.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't know for sure if this is correct, but I seem to recall having read somewhere on here that when you mount the SX tabs, mount the hinge & plates & actuators first. When you let them hang there, they will automatically fall down into the proper angle, after which it is easy to find the right location for the upper mount. Makes them a bit more foolproof than the regular stainless tabs.

These instructions seem to confirm this: http://www.nauticusinc.com/installation.htm

Otherwise, just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.... :)

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Orion, make sure they can clear your trailer, you may have to adjust boats position a little forward, also I have a question for nlain hope you don't mind a small highjack.

That won't be a problem as I will be putting them on with the boat on the trailer.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Nlain, I notice you have them at the very bottom of your hull.

I thought they were supposed to be near the water line. Or, is yours correct and they are designed to stay submerged at all times?

stevens

Kyle, that's where they are supposed to go. If you had mounted them at the waterline, they wouldn't even touch the water when the boat was at speed. So, yes, when the boat is at a standstill, the tabs are supposed to be submerged....

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't know for sure if this is correct, but I seem to recall having read somewhere on here that when you mount the SX tabs, mount the hinge & plates & actuators first. When you let them hang there, they will automatically fall down into the proper angle, after which it is easy to find the right location for the upper mount. Makes them a bit more foolproof than the regular stainless tabs.

These instructions seem to confirm this: http://www.nauticusinc.com/installation.htm

Otherwise, just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.... :)

I've had my SX for a month or so but haven't gotten around to installing.
My transom angle is 15 degrees.
I measured the angle of the tabs to the hinge plate when they are in the lower position against the stops and that measures 15 degrees.
If you mounted like you say you'd end up at 30. Right?
You want 25 degrees though don't you ? I think possibly the transom angle should be considered when installing.
I'm not trying to hijack this thread either, just gathering info hopefully for all of us.
Also I'm kind of crowded back there. How close is too close do you think to the trancducer?
Thanks

stevens

Yes, per the instructions, you want the tabs to sit at a 25 degree angle relative to the bottom of the hull, and you would then pick the mounting point for the upper actuator transom bracket accordingly.

Full instructions here: http://www.nauticusinc.com/pdf/manual.pdf

Don't know about the SX tabs, but the box for the stainless tabs has printed on it a template that you can cut out and use to measure the 25 degree angle.

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I spoke with John at Nauticas on the phone yesterday and he told me that the stop they put on the SX models assumed a transom rake of 10-12 degrees. Like said above you just have to adjust accordingly.

nlain

Commander

a70eliminator,
I originally purchased the 80 lb cylinders, but for my boat I had to go to 60 lb.
Mine is 18' 6" with 4.3L IO, with the 80 lb I could not get the bow out of the water. I called John, told him what I had and he sent me the 60lb, I had also talked with him about the mounting before I drilled holes and he said it would be ok. When I bought mine the charts showed 80 lb for my boat, if it was an outboard that would be correct but the IO with the engine weight inside the hull makes for the lighter pressure of 60 lb. Once mounted I have played with the adjustment until I got the performance I wanted, I have brought the angle back close to the 25 degree setting and the pressure setting about center. I have moved the settings from one extreme to the other an have settled very near the installation recommended setting. You won't regret installing them, they make a big difference in the handling of your boat. I hope I answered your question.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Excuse me for interrupting, but wouldn't drilling holes void the lifetime hull warranty on some boats?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Excuse me for interrupting, but wouldn't drilling holes void the lifetime hull warranty on some boats?

Only if the failure/problem can be traced directly to those holes.

That is unless the warranty states that any modification voids the warranty

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Only if the failure/problem can be traced directly to those holes.

That is unless the warranty states that any modification voids the warranty

But, that would be at YOUR expense and trying to prove it is a whole different story...Correct?

nlain

Commander

If a hull failed directly as the result of one of these holes it would be very obvious. It would really be difficult to deny your hole caused the failure. I drilled holes to mount my Smart Tabs, I was very careful to do it right the first time, I then sealed properly and installed the hardware with more sealer. I am not worried about my hull failing from those holes.

Nandy

Commander

Hmmm, am I missing something? I thought those trim tabs where hydraulic to you could adjust while in movement but I cannot make any cables in the picture...

Never mind, I read the other trimtabs post and I see now why I did not see the cable...

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Please go to our website at www.NauticusInc.com and review the products and features. All Smart Tabs are completely automatic and 100% active.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

But, that would be at YOUR expense and trying to prove it is a whole different story...Correct?

Actually the burden of proof falls on the manufacturer. That doesn't mean your dealer won't tell you otherwise or make things so complicated and inconvenient that you give up.

For more information do a google search for "magneson-moss" or just "lemon-law"

Bottom line - read your warranty carefully and understand what is and is not allowed.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

FYI - When you drill the holes for mounting the screws through the fiberglass, you need to use a countersink to chamfer the sides of the holes. This will do 2 things. It will prevent the gelcoat from chipping out when the screws are installed and also provide a place for the sealant to go where it will form a kind of O-ring to seal the hole as the parts are tightened together. Chamfer diameter needs to be larger than the screws.

point92

Cadet

It might be obvious but, take lots of measurements. I taped them up with duct tape and measured the distance from all angles and made sure they were symetric. I place mine out as far to the sides as possible without interfering with my transom tie downs. get a good angle measuring protractor or equivelant. Use lots of sealant in each hole behind the bracke to seal it all up.

Once I had them installed I started in the center adjustment hole for the first run. It initially seemed like to much drag and my top end suffered a few knots! I ended up moving it back to the hole nearest the transom and they work great!

Attachments

• CIMG1810.jpg
    CIMG1810.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2
  • CIMG1812.jpg
    CIMG1812.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1
  • CIMG1813.jpg
    CIMG1813.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1
  • CIMG1814.jpg
    CIMG1814.jpg