Advice on marine mechanic schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,

My little brother is in high school and is a seriously talented mechanic. He has rebuilt the entire driveline of a Toyota pickup, several boats, helped restore a '90 Nissan hardbody practically from the ground up, and generally kicked *** at what he loves doing. His real passion is marine work and he's been working in a boat shop with a family friend for the past two summers, doing everything from outboards to diesel motoryachts.

He really loves it and he's thinking about pursuing it as a career, and he asked me to solicit some advice from this highly helpful forum. He's looking at the Marine Mechanics Institute and the marine program at Wyotech, and wants some input on the ups and downs of each. Any general input on the business itself and whether or not it's a good career move is greatly appreciated as well.

I've given him the limited advice I've got - it's a pretty niche skill and he will have to follow the work, but it's what he really loves and he's willing to go for it. Any other advice and input for him would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Advice on marine mechanic schools

Personally I think he should forget school. Move to a strong commercial marine location, and try and catch on at the local Cat dealer. Once in, the sky is the limit. They will train him, and they may not really want a UTI grad. Yes he will start with sweeping floors. But if they like him, they will promote and train him.

One other bit of advice that I give to all techs. Consider moving into sales or mgmt reasonably early in your career; especially if you have good communication skills. Many outstanding tech's bodies just give out, and they end their careers broken and angry. There will always be some young buck who will come in and be faster and smarter. It's just the way it is . . . Best to be managing those guys than envying them ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am not familiar with the curriculum at either school, Slide, but every "tech" program I ever designed, managed or taught included a lot of life and business skills he would not pick up sweeping floors. Many of my former electronics and computer tech students are now in senior management positions in Sales, Customer Support, or Engineering or are proprietors of their own successful businesses.

Both schools have excellent reps for turning out well rounded entry level techs with potential for future career growth. Having invested money, time and energy in preparing for the future is a testament to their work ethic and ambition.

On the other hand I have seen many rise in technical careers without academic credentials beyond High School utilizing company sponsored training.

Given the choice I would recommend earning an AAS degree at an accredited Tech College like the two you mentioned.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I guess I don't disagree with you either, JB. I just have a lot of experience, friends etc. that have been on the career path I mentioned. Many are in Mgm't, many are in sales, and some are excellent techs. Yours truly is one of those I have experience with . . . I moved directly to sales, then Mgm't then back to sales. One thing we had issues with, and it is not the practical skills, or Mgm't skills I am referring to, but we often had to get them to unlearn things they learned in tech schools ;)

Ultimately I think this all still depends on the individual. Sweeping floors was the way in, not anything to be ashamed of or frowned upon.

robert graham

Admiral

Might be good if the boy can decide early-on if he wants to be in Commercial Marine environment or a generally Recreational Marine environment. Seems like the work might be steadier and pay better in the Commercial area, working on larger boats and ships....but these are just my ideas. Good luck to the young fella'...I'm envious of him!:)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Then, after deciding if commercial or recreational field, contact the manufacturer of that equipment.

Tell them what you want to do, market sector, type of work, career aspirations.

Ask them who they support.
Who the recommend.
Who develops the most successful graduates for what you want to do.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My advice is to look VERY VERY carefully and be VERY wary of the "for profit" schools.

Selection of the wrong school will leave him pumped full of hot air and burdened by major student debt. An error made early on could take 15-20 years to recover from.

School is important however, ANY 2 year degree is better then none (similar to holding a pair of 3's in poker .....not the lowest but better than nothing).

I agree that he needs to get with the major manufacturers and do his homework from there.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I would highly suggest your brother do his home work and check out the schools, they will say anything to get his money or his commitment to pay them money. That being said I think school is his best option. I would also highly suggest he look into auto/diesel mechanics before marine, the marine industry is a very small market and I think he would be better served to learn a trade that will offer him success from the moment he gets out of school and then he can pursue his love for marine on his terms perhaps after the industry recovers in however many years in the future. My Step Son has similar ambitions and I told him the very same thing, the very size of the marine industry is its own enemy at times like this, meanwhile the auto industry is 100+ times larger, simple math, but good luck either way!

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming. I have him following this thread so feel free to post directly to him. I am for him going to school, no matter where it is - college, tech school, etc. That piece of paper is a major factor in this day and age no matter what it says.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh well............ with it not being said I guess I am obligated to mention it........... (I am retired US Army active duty and there are MANY of us here on iboats)

Do not be afraid to look into a military career. It will provide growth, money for college and usable skills for the future.

halfmoa

Ensign

School is important however, ANY 2 year degree is better then none (similar to holding a pair of 3's in poker .....not the lowest but better than nothing).

Very, very well put.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe have the boy check out: Atlantic Marine BAE in Jacksonville, Fl., big ocean-going yacht shipyard, rebuilders, outfitters, etc....maybe they could offer him some thoughts or guidance regarding their area of the maritime business. BAE Systems just bought Atlantic and I expect they'll be looking to grow the business. Just a thought! Good Luck!

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I learned that about all of the marine engine makers have their own "factory training schools" which are free to employees when hired by a dealer and not open to the public. How much a person will learn may vary but saying you are "factory trained" sounds real good when applying for a job. You see anyone can attend a tech school but only "selected" people get to go to the factory school. He might find a dealer who will sponcer him.Not that hard if the dealer thinks he will make a good mechanic for his business.Im not saying the tech school student wont learn as much. He may learn more..

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would forget the "marine" part of the equation. A disappearing industry. For sure.

Many manufactiurers offer post high school graduate programs. Ford's ASSET comes to mind as one.

Albrecht

Recruit

I learned that about all of the marine engine makers have their own "factory training schools" which are free to employees when hired by a dealer and not open to the public. How much a person will learn may vary but saying you are "factory trained" sounds real good when trying to buy personal statement and applying for a job. You see anyone can attend a tech school but only "selected" people get to go to the factory school. He might find a dealer who will sponcer him.Not that hard if the dealer thinks he will make a good mechanic for his business.Im not saying the tech school student wont learn as much. He may learn more..

Hello,

Could you please give a couple of examples of any "factory training schools"? What are they like and do they offer certificates? Thanks. I thought about Manatee Technical College in Bradenton, but I'm not sure about the specific field: Basic Marine Mechanics. It seems too narrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.