Advice about replacing steering helm

superbenk

Commander
my 2008 Four Winns H200 steering is pretty sloppy. I’d like to replace the helm (I think that’s what the gear & cable assembly that the steering wheel attaches to is called). Curious how hard this is to do. How do I figure out what replacement parts I need & what’s involved? Is this a relatively easy job or am I looking at a lot of work? Any other advice?

superbenk

Commander
Here’s a pic of my current helm.

Attachments

• photo291399.jpg
    photo291399.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
So far as replacing, its easy enough. Hardest part is getting to it, but if you have room, then no issue. When connecting the cable to the steering ram make sure to keep the slots on the shaft vertical when tightening the nut

There are a few places for slop, helm, yoke arm, steering pin, gimbal ring

superbenk

Commander
Thanks. Definitely not the steering pin or gimbal ring thankfully. Helm is easy to get to & the ram isn’t terribly hard either so that’s good.

How do I determine what length I need? Do I just get a 20’ kit because my boat is 20’?

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
How do I determine what length I need? Do I just get a 20’ kit because my boat is 20’?

No remove the old cable and look for any numbers on it. It may have the length. Otherwise, measure it and compare to new ones on a site such as Teleflex.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, and also make sure you get cables to match helm, there are several different ones

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
make sure that the slop is in the helm and not back by the tiller arm and gimble

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Buy a kit which includes the rotary helm and cable. No chance of a mismatch and it's much cheaper than buying the two pieces separate.

Your cable sheath appears to be in decent shape, so you may find the length on one end or the other, usually the last two numbers in the part number.

Fed

Commander
Teleflex cables & helms come with about 2" of slop at the steering wheel rim from brand new, make sure what you think is sloppy is not simply normal.
I changed mine for the same reason & the new one was exactly the same as the old one.
Researched it at the Teleflex website and was surprised to see that 2" was normal, I don't think the Teleflex website is there anymore.

superbenk

Commander
Wow! 2” is about what I have now. It’s been about the same since I bought the boat 5 yrs ago.

Is is there any better brand or options for less slop if that’s what is normal for Teleflex?