advance timing light vs standard?

fireicyhott

Seaman Apprentice
As you can see from the post below I am working on an issue on my 1990 5.8L
OMC w/ cobra drive that I now think MAY be a timing advance issue.

I have been reading posts and info on this subject. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of these:

1. Start and warm up motor.

2. Remove vacuum line (if there is one) and plug it.

3. At idle using timing light set the initial timing.

4. With boat in neutral (in water) rev motor up and using timing light see check the timing and see if it advances and what rpm it is fully advanced.

5. I will check my springs and weights prior to doing this as I am not sure the advance is working.

6. Can I do this with a regular inductive timing light or do I need to buy and advance style timing light?

7. Don't have my book with me right now (in boat) can anyone tell me what the initial timing should be on this motor and how about total advanced timing? I will look at the advance mechanisim and see what is stamped on plate.

Thanks, Jeff

I am so close to having this boat run good, I am dying to feel the wind. Not frustration!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: advance timing light vs standard?

1) Ayuh....
2) It Shouldn't have 1....
3) Ayuh,..... And the Dwell,.... Then the Idle rpms at the Carb......
4) Ayuh,..... See if it's Advanving,.... You probably shouldn't rev it High enough to see Max Advance.....
5) Ayuh,..... The rotor should move slightly when manually tried.....
6) Ayuh..... Any timing light will do......
7) I Don't know,.... But somebody who Does will be along.......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: advance timing light vs standard?

6. Can I do this with a regular inductive timing light or do I need to buy and advance style timing light?

If you want to see total advance, you really would want and advance timing light.