advance or retard

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've got a dumb question.On a two cycle engine, are you more likely to burn a hole in the piston with advancing the timing or retarding the timing?

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: advance or retard

Advancing the timing above the norm, will cause pre-ignition and detonation. Detonation = holes in pistons. A "lean" condition also causes the above as does excessive heat, lack of oil (heat), lugging the motor (too much prop). Low octane fuel....

scotiany

So P.V. if I retard my engine from 32 to 28, I shouldn't hurt anything?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

scotiany,<br />28 degrees would be OK, but why do you want to do this? You might try 30 first and see how it goes! What does the Manual call for?

scotiany

rick<br />It's a 55 Chrysler . The Clymer, Glenn manuals say 32. The Seloc very specifically says 28.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Scotiany, You havent stated what OB you have, but, as a general comment, 4 degrees would not hurt. Back in the days when OMC put out their service bulletins about low octane fuel and the need to retard timing on certin outboards, customers did'nt notice a performance loss when timing was retarded. And they wouldn't have known we did it if we hadn't told 'em! So, yes, good mid-grade fuel and 2 to 4 degrees retarded won't hurt and you probably won't tell the difference.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

OOooPPpppssss,,..... missed the hp and year. Any Chrysler motor, retard down to minus 40 degrees......... And don't run it at all !!!!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

scotiany <br />Go ahead and set it at 28. You may lose a little power, but I doubt it will be that noticeable. Plus it may make your Motor last a little longer if you don't retard it too far.

scotiany

I'm not a defender of Chrysler. It's what I bought when I was young and stupid-not young anymore, just stupid. Anyways, getting this thing running again is more a matter of middle age crisis. When I bought the boat package back in'70, I could have had a Johnson 50 for the same price. What you don't know can hurt.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I'd say if you got 33 years out of it, it couldn't have been a very stupid idea. ;)