Adjusting trim sensor.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well drive on and adjusted trim gauge sensor and limit switch. Limit switch seemed like it did very little by turning it. But came up to 6" 1/8 so called it good. As it was 6 +- 1/4 " Also adjusted the sensor but couldn't get it to rise full up fully when it was down all the way.' Remains 1/8 inch or hair more from the down mark. Now I know that will be fine. But wondering if some one knew why. Well still need to finish shift cable up in dog box. And fasten dog house down. Then i'll fire her up!

alldodge

Staff member
Well drive on and adjusted trim gauge sensor and limit switch. Limit switch seemed like it did very little by turning it. But came up to 6" 1/8 so called it good. As it was 6 +- 1/4 " Also adjusted the sensor but couldn't get it to rise full up fully when it was down all the way.' Remains 1/8 inch or hair more from the down mark. Now I know that will be fine. But wondering if some one knew why. Well still need to finish shift cable up in dog box. And fasten dog house down. Then i'll fire her up!

Once a trim gauge sender goes bad there is no fixing, only replace it. Sounds like you have a sender which is not working correctly

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Where are you measuring? 6 1/8 from where to where?

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
From the base of cylinder to center of pin hole as it says. Says it should be 6" plus or minus a 1/4 inch.

Fun Times

Staff member
Where are you measuring? 6 1/8 from where to where?
While the service manual has you measure between front trim pin to rear trim pin, there are other places that have come up with other points to take a measurement from like seen in the following link for example. (3rd photo down) http://www.mercstuff.com/trim_limit.htm

Problem is since viper1 didn't tell us what model/year stern drive he's working on, it's a 50/50 if the measurement he's jugging by is 100% accurate for his model drive due to the measurements have changed. The one in the link above is for older alpha and bravo drives. The Gen 2 Alpha has a different measurement. The bottom of this page shows the correct way to measure. http://www.mercstuff.com/trimb.htm

Last edited:

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was a 1989 mercruiser 3.0 L. Manual showed what i said. Seems ok now time for a new thread! ;(