Adjusting Forward and Reverse 85 hp Johnson

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1975 85 hp Johnson motor, it will either go into forward or reverse but not both. If I adjust the cable it will go in reverse but then it won't go in forward unless I readjust the cable. The fellow I got the boat from put a new water impeller
in it and he told me he didn't adjust the rod that goes from under the carbs to the gears in the foot. Anyone have a suggestion how to adjust the rod or cable so I can get both forward and reverse?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Adjusting Forward and Reverse 85 hp Johnson

Put it in the middle and see if it goes into reverse or forward.
Then drop the LU and adjust the shift rod to make it more bias towards whichever one it didnt want to go into

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put it in the middle and see if it goes into reverse or forward.
Then drop the LU and adjust the shift rod to make it more bias towards whichever one it didnt want to go into

I was hoping I could adjust it from top side but I guess not, looks like I will be tearing into the lower unit. I appreciate your help, thanks.

BigJim

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yep its not hard so long as you get the shift shaft unhooked. You dont want the motor hangin up on that.
Once you know how to do it you can from then on do all the regular maintenance on it, Saves heaps of $$$$

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep its not hard so long as you get the shift shaft unhooked. You dont want the motor hangin up on that.
Once you know how to do it you can from then on do all the regular maintenance on it, Saves heaps of $$$$

I am sure I will have questions when I start that. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Remove the linkage arms.----Turn the coupler all the way down and back it off to line it up.----------flat side faces aft.----Install linkage arms again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree +1............Then adjust your shift cable so it is centered.

Last edited:

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remove the linkage arms.----Turn the coupler all the way down and back it off to line it up.----------flat side faces aft.----Install linkage arms again.

I will go out there tomorrow and see if I can figure out what you are telling me to do, I think I know but without looking it is hard for me to remember or know where the coupler is you are talking about. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer this for me.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take a 5/8" wrench with you to loosen up the bolt that holds the arms.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I am back again, we finally got to take the boat to the lake two times. The motor runs great but no reverse still. With the boat on the trailer it will go into forward and reverse, like it should, but not when I put it in the water. I tried to readjust the cable and thought it was right but it isn't, same o same o. I am sure I will have to readjust the coupling on top of the shift rod that goes into the foot.

What it is doing now when I put it in reverse is I have to shove the shifter handle waaaaay back, by that time the throttle is opened for the carbs the engine is revving up and a lot of grinding going on. I don't want to tear the gears up so I need to try something else. On the trailer I have to push the lever way back for it to go into reverse (without motor running).

I will adjust the coupling so I don't have to shove the linkage so far back to go in reverse and see if that works. While I discovered no reverse, I figured I could use my trolling motor for reverse, well the darn trolling motor won't go in reverse now, when in reverse the trolling motor goes forward. I thought I had the battery hooked backwards but I didn't. I guess I will be checking the trolling motor also.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you aware that this motor has an oil pump in the lower unit ?----Are you aware that oil pressure and a servo is used to assist in the shifting when the motor is running.------Sounds to me that you need to inspect the lower unit reverse gear and clutch dog.-------If you let it go much longer it might add up to bigger $$$$ for repairs.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
racerone, I had no idea it had oil pressure and a servo to assist the shift, how would I check it and what do I look for? I did go out ther and readjust the coupling on top of the shift rod. It seems to be shifting better but if it is hydraulic assisted it may not be right yet.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did manage to make one round tighter on the shifter rod so hopefully that helped. I do know the arm doesn't go back as far and it goes in gear sooner so maybe that did it, I will let you know how it goes.