Adding trailer brakes???

fibersport

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Adding trailer brakes???

While electric over hydraulic is nice, it really raises the price of a system. My boat and trailer are probably a little over 3000 pounds, I have a single axle trailer with disc brakes and have no problems with it. Disc brakes are simpler to maintain than drums and have fewer parts as well. You do have to wire into your backup lights for a backup solenoid as disc brakes will work in reverse, drums will drag but won't brake in reverse.

I would also suggest installing an isolator for the wiring, it runs off the battery instead of your vehicle wiring. Todays vehicles use very light gauge wiring that can and will burn up with the added load of trailer lights. Some vehicles also run the lighting through the body computer and do not have fuses, any shorts will require a reprogram of your computer. Ask me how I know ........

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why is nothing simple and straightforward???

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Your wiring should easily be able to handle the current loads. If your truck already has a trailer connector, it easily does.

We aren't talking tons of current here. A few amps is all that you will have on the highest draw circuit.

fibersport

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you have a vehicle that is wired from the factory then I would agree, it should handle the lights with no problems. If however, it does not, then I would first look up the vehicle to see what the manufacturer requires. If they say splice or tap in then go ahead, if not then look at a Drawtite Modulite. I learned my lesson with my van, especially since the tail light wiring looks to be about 24 gauge wire. Do some research then make your own decision.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I learned my lesson with my van, especially since the tail light wiring looks to be about 24 gauge wire. Do some research then make your own decision.
Have you seen 24 gauge wire before? It is really tiny. Hard to imagine any auto manufacturer routing that around just because it would be very likely to get damaged.

fibersport

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I have seen 24 gauge wire, I wired my van about 5 years ago so I might be off on the wire size but I doubt if it's over 20 ga. in any case it sure isn't what it used to be. The factory harness for my van had a set of relays to keep the load off the actual wiring at the tail lights, I opted to install the modulite instead. I also installed a relay, fuse and diode for my backup lights, really didn't want to mess up the BCM again.

All I'm saying is to check and see if your vehicle and handle the lighting load, that's all.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What brand and year of van? Amazing they would have relays.

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm working on a project that will mostly be used in fresh water, occasionally in salt. I'm inclined toward galvanized hydraulic disc surge brakes rather than electric. Mechanical rather than electrical, to me, is simpler, less to break or be concerned with. Disc over Drum, that's easy -- fewer parts, easier to keep clean, inspect, replace the disc pads.

etrailer.com
trailerpartssuperstore.com
trailerpartsdepot.com

are good sources for brakes and parts.