Adding trailer brakes

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Adding trailer brakes

Good points Bruce and thanks for your thoughts. I think the electric brakes will be the way I go. I wasn't looking forward to changing out the coupler anyway since it's welded on. Thanks everyone for their input.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Yes, the Prodigy can move back and forth between vehicles. It is as simple as unplugging and slipping into the bracket in the other truck, plugging in a setting. I opted for one in each without swapping as I have several trailers with brakes and did not have want to have to be moving it constantly...

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can find them try to find a stainless steel brake setup.

dont forget to you need to buy new hubs so make sure the bearings are the same number on the old hub and new hub/drum or the new hub wont go on right.

Typically arent you supposed to disconnect your lights and electrics plug before dumping your trailer and boat in the water? Thus deactivating the brakes?

As far as controllers i have a cheap $50 hopkins and it serves me just fine but everyone has there preference.

Yes a breakaway kit is required, you can get a kit that has everything my advice is to make sure it also has a charger most kits do but i ahve seen some with out. this gets wired into your +12v from the tow rig. Dont want to be stuck with a bad battery and the trailer gets seperated..

Also you would need to change your plug to either a 5 way flat or 6 way or 7 way.

Otherwise fairly straight forward install many of us have done many installs over the years.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure your trailer wheels will clear the drums.
Most likely not on yours, but some of the 10" fat pontoon tires/rims will not clear some brake drums.

superbenk

Commander

Is it a difficult project adding brakes to a trailer that doesn't have them? My trailer (single axle) has mounting plates on the axle, but no brakes currently. My boat & trailer is probably in the 3000# neighborhood and I'd like to add the brakes.

Also, when I look around on iBoats, I only find hydraulic surge kits. Either I'm missing something or I'm not looking in the right place. What should I expect to spend on outfitting my trailer with proper electric brakes? Is there any special considerations when looking at electric trailer brakes (ie, is there problems with submersing them or are they made for that?).

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Surge has got to be simpler than electric. Probably more complex to install on the trailer but you dont have to modify the electric system and add controllers to tow the boat. Just hook it up and go.

And it works with any tow vehicle.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Because its not recommended to use electric brakes on boat trailers. Yes people use them but I personally don't like them. My surge brakes never bind up when I back my boat up, due to it has a reverse lockout solenoid that activates when my reverse lights come on...

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

So far, most seem to prefer the electric if the electric over hydraulic is not an option. As far as the brake assemblies themselves, are there any brands to stay away from? Keep the opinions coming. You are most helpful. Thanks again.

look on ebay im looking for electric brakes for my boat trailer as well, you can get 2 backing plates, 2 drums what ever lug pattern, all bearings and seals, lug nuts ad dust caps for like 160 shipped. Im looking at a set from r and p carriages.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Add-Brakes-to-your-trailer-Basic-kit-3500-axle-5x5-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3c9d5cd1a0QQitemZ260338143648QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

For the guy who asked another question read my post for some more tips. I forgot about the clearance on some rims. I boats wont sell electric becuase most boat trailers dont have electric brakes. etrailer.com sells them in the 7 10 and 12 inch kit, and there is a difference between right and left sides. Basically the magnent is to be posistioned down.

Hydrailucs have the benefit of no modify to the electrical other then a backup wire if you dont want to deal with the solenoid you can manually do it or get free backing hydraulics. They are also not plug specific and work on any tow vehicle. the bad side is they cost conciderably more and u have to change the coupler no biggie if its bolted on, if its welded thats another story.

Electrics are cheaper in cost they have stainless version if u can find them, installing is about the same, just with the hydrolics careful not to pinch the lines. Down falls more wiring is involved u have to change your plug out and add more wiring to the vehicle if it is not equipted with trailer brake controller adn the constant 12v needed to power the battery. The breakaway kit might take up too much rroom on some peoples tongue if its a tight fit. Also eletric brakes and water might not mix electrolisys maybe. Most the time people discconnect there trailer before backing into the water to preven shorting of the lights, in turn that would render your breaks useless. The tow vehicle has to have the same recptical as the trailer if not adapters are needed.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

look on ebay im looking for electric brakes for my boat trailer as well, you can get 2 backing plates, 2 drums what ever lug pattern, all bearings and seals, lug nuts ad dust caps for like 160 shipped. Im looking at a set from r and p carriages.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Add-...5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

not too bad of deal, be sure to look for a break away kit with charger to make it legal. Also make sure the bearing numbers match what you got on your trailer or they wont work. For the most part there all standard number but they can be diff numbers and u need to cross reference. Some older trailers have a smaller front bearing a LM12749 or equivalent, these are getting hard to find. While having a L68149 or equivalent inside bearing which is common. I'd hate to hear someone buy everything and the bearings are wrong or even worse install them and the tire and drum fall off.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a little confuse because I thought that using electric brakes will short out the brakes like a tail light bulb burns out if the connectors are not disconnected from the tow vehicle :confused:. Humm :rolleyes:.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm a little confuse because I thought that using electric brakes will short out the brakes like a tail light bulb burns out if the connectors are not disconnected from the tow vehicle :confused:. Humm :rolleyes:.
nah

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

We have had electric brakes on numerous trailers and would not hesitate to buy another trailer with electric brakes. Surge brakes aren't very common anymore and one does not hear much good about them. One just does not have the degree of braking control with surge brakes as with electric brakes, providing that they are well maintained and properly set up. Someone told me that surge brakes no longer are legal in some jurisdictions, although I can't confirm that.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Most, if not all, boat trailers are designed to launch without disconnecting the wiring. Bulbs should not burn out even with the wiring connected. The brake lights will glow under water without doing any damage. And, unless they are damaged, the electrical connections at the wheels for the brakes should be sealed so as to keep water out.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Generally it's a good idea to unplug the lights I think. Thoes lights are not 100% seald. The led ones are but I think those advise u to discoonect anyway. I do only because I don't want a hot bulb to contact cold water so I unplug in the staging area. To each there own with that little of voltage it ain't gonna hardly do any damage.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have had electric brakes on numerous trailers and would not hesitate to buy another trailer with electric brakes.....

See if I've got this right...the electric brakes you're referring to are the same brakes installed on utility trailers, car trailers and RV campers? Again..hummm? :confused: :)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yes same as any other trailer..... if you are in salt water then you ought to have stainless or galvanized stuff (elec or otherwise) but electric brakes work fine under water. They are just a normal drum brake with a sealer electromagnet.... The mag sticks to the drum and as the drum rotated the mag drags an arm over that applied the brake. Very simple and just fine to get wet..... after all when it rains anything on the highway gets wet..... hot bulb+ cold water= crack (sometimes) I now have all sealed led's and I don't unplug any more

People get all wigged out about electric and water..... trolling motors are electric;)

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

See if I've got this right...the electric brakes you're referring to are the same brakes installed on utility trailers, car trailers and RV campers? Again..hummm? :confused: :)

I'm not sure what your point is, but smokeonthewater probably answered your question.

Back to surge vs electric. Have you ever tried to bring a swaying or fishtailing trailer under control with surge brakes? Chances are you will end up in the ditch or oncoming traffic if you hit the vehicle brakes in that situation. Applying just the electric brakes in that situation often works to bring the trailer under control.

Or how about trying to slow the tow vehicle and trailer by braking with the trailer only when on ice or on a large downhill? Being able to do so can maintain or restore control and save your life. It can't be done with the surge brakes that I have seen.

1A commercial license for more than 20 years.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure what your point is..

My point is to gather the right info so that I can install brakes on my existing trailer which currently doesn't have any. I'm familiar with hydraulic surge brakes both drum and disc which I had plan to install.

I've also heard of electric over hydraulic brakes but was told is about $1200 to install. When I read this thread regarding the subject matter, it drew my interest but wanted to verify that the electric brakes are one of the same used on utility trailer and not the costly electric over hydraulic system.

Yes I've got my answer so I'll order a set of electric brakes for my boat trailer.
Thanks ;).

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes same as any other trailer..... if you are in salt water then you ought to have stainless or galvanized stuff (elec or otherwise) but electric brakes work fine under water. They are just a normal drum brake with a sealer electromagnet.... The mag sticks to the drum and as the drum rotated the mag drags an arm over that applied the brake. Very simple and just fine to get wet..... after all when it rains anything on the highway gets wet..... hot bulb+ cold water= crack (sometimes) I now have all sealed led's and I don't unplug any more

People get all wigged out about electric and water..... trolling motors are electric;)

Well said Smoke

Again i hate to sound like a broken record, DONT forget to make sure the bearings are the right ones for your trailer when you order the new hub/drums. Or if your gonna use your old ones from the old hub make sure the new hub accepts those bearings.