Adding Joystick to Mercruiser DTS Boat?

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm considering the purchase of a 2017 Chaparral with twin 8.2 MAG engines and the optional DTS system, but no joystick control. I'm told that it can be added to a DTS equipped boat, but can't find any details on what is entailed. Does anyone have any idea what is required?

alldodge

Staff member
Have not heard of anyone adding it but also not seeing Axius system on the 8.2 motors. Have found it on 5.7 motors

It does require full hydraulic steering to the drives can be turned in different directions. There are other systems out there not just Merc like Seastar.

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mercruiser shows it as applicable to all of their sterndrive motors, and I have seen them on 8.2 equipped boats. It sounds like all of the newer boats equipped with DTS and SmartCraft can be retrofitted because they have the required digital throttle/shift and independent electric power steering for each drive. I'm trying to get a quote from the dealer to at least understand what is involved.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm sure it can, I was using Merc's parts layout by serial number and motor type and the parts are not listed. Look forward to finding out what the dealer advises

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm waiting for the seller to get me the engine serial numbers so the Chap dealer can figure out what is required. I'm not worried about doing the hardware and electrical install, but I'm not equipped to do Mercruiser software installation/update.

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Following up in case anyone asks this question in the future, the Chap dealer spoke to Mercruiser and concluded that it would be "cost prohibitive" to add the joystick and very difficult. Supposedly the engines would have to be sent back to Mercruiser for modification, additional hardware would be required in the engine bay, structural reinforcements would have to be made, etc. After all that I still wouldn't have any of the new joystick features like Skyhook. Apparently it's easier to add to the earlier DTS boats but still expensive and difficult. So long story short, just find a boat that already has it! :)

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the update
Similar to what we hear about a guy wanting to make a boat faster. In most cases its cheaper to buy a boat which goes the speed they were looking for, then try to make a current boat go that speed

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yup, very good comparison. I was assuming that the bulk of the hardware was already there, you just had to add the brains. Seems like that's not the case.