Adding a trim indicator (how hard?)

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I purchased a 1990 Galaxy 190 a while back and while I really like it (and it's sure a lot better quality than the mid-80's Galaxy models), I'm a little disappointed that they didn't bother to put a trim indicator on the dash. It's got a 4.3L Merc Alpha One engine and outdrive setup. How hard is it to wire up a trim indicator? Will I need a bunch of parts or just the gauge and some wires?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Adding a trim indicator (how hard?)

Just the gauge, the wires are already at the inst. panel, and the trim sender is also on the drive. It may not work, but it's there. The only wire you may need is a purple and a black to hook up from another gauge. The wire from the sender is brown/white stripe (I think), but it's in the instructions that come with the trim gauge.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Don is right on! Hopefully your sender wires are still in good shape. The senders have a two conductor black (looks like lampcord) wire. The insulation likes to get brittle and crack. The copper wire inside is stranded. Water gets in and causes the strands to break apart. The only solution is to replace the trim limit and gage senders. They don't come separately. And you can't splice the wire. It won't hold up. If you hook it al up and it don't work this is most likely your problem.

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the advice, Don and Fireship. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into before I went out and started buying parts.