Adding a toilet to a pontoon boat

JonathanEngr

Seaman
Hi, all. I'm new to the forums and boats. We recently purchased a lake house, and I've been looking to purchase a pontoon boat. I finally found one that fits *everything* I was wanting, and is owned by someone I trust greatly and takes immaculate care of everything mechanical he owns. There is one exception...

The pontoon has a changing area, but no toilet. With two small children on a veery large lake, this is something I had decided was a must. However, since it has a changing area, how difficult would it be to add on a toilet? I noticed that "Thetford" has numerous bolt-down chemical port-a-potties with electric discharge and refill, and didn't know if it could be added to the boat to make it look "factory". In other words, could it be placed under a removable cushion, etc., inside of the changing area?

I'm a pretty handy guy, but as I mentioned above, boats are very new to me. I didn't know if this is something feasible and/or easy to do. Any input would be appreciated!!!!

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Adding a toilet to a pontoon boat

I would go with a chemical or even the no flush type portable toilets. ( not really sure how they work just know of them) Obviously, a toilet with a holding tank etc, is going to be a lot of $$$$$ and a lot of extra weight. There is always the "cheap" way out- just cut a hole in the floor and mount a toilet seat somehow over it :D- the downside is you would get yelled at for leaving the seat "up" :eek:-of course you could mount it backwards so that when you are travelling the lid won't get blown that way :redface:

JonathanEngr

Seaman

LOL! I actually considered the idea of just a "hole"! The toilet that I found is here:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...Portable_Toilet&aID=601I7&merchID=1009&r=view

They have a few different models, all similar to this one. It has a 2.6 gallon fresh water tank and a 2.6 gal reservoir--plenty for a few hours on the lake.

My question is, how do the toilets that commonly come on pontoons fit in? Are they underneath a removable cushion? Are they typically in the same "room" as the changing area? I assume it's just a shroud that is raised to provide privacy. I would really like to make it as "stock" as I can, and something that is fixed yet out of the way. I might be able to work something out once I HAVE the boat--I just want to be sure I CAN do it before purchasing!

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, they would be in the privacy curtain area. Some sort of riser is going to be necessary to make it more comfortable to use.

My old deckboat had one on a sliding mount with a flip down support. Slide it out to use and slide it back when done. Perhaps you could do some thing similar, but I doubt that it would look "stock."

As far as emptying, the chemicals used do their job very well. Before one winter layup, I almost forgot to empty ours. It had been used all summer and when I thought of emptying it, well, let's just say I wasn't looking forward to it as I have an extremely well tuned gag reflex. I can say that I was very pleased that the chemicals worked.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

5-gallon bucket, toilet seat, bag of lime...bungee cord and disposable bags optional.