adding a speedometer how to?

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Hello I have a 94 Sea pro 180CC with a 94 120hp Force outboard that I would like to add a speedometer to it I got a Teleflex speedomter Gauge and I want to know what is the best way to do it and what kind of pickup unit should I get? and where to instal it?I also have an old pickup unit with temp that has a cord with 4 wires and a spining wheel can I use this with the teleflex gauge? thanks in advance

Last edited:

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer
Re: adding a speedometer how to?

If it were me, I'd forget the guage you have and get a low cost hand held GPS. gives very accurate speed, direction, bread crumb tail etc. I use a Garmin ahnd held which I think are down to $100 or so and attach it to my dash with a velcro strip ( I can take with me in the car etc.) Probably one of the best hand held advances in electronics I've seen. You don;t something fancy with maps etc. The only thing missing is the water temp you'd be giving up. see link http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Foretrex-101-P246C2.aspx?UserID=12052111&SessionID=g0JztG779tGjJblfTTMS

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You need this: http://www.iboats.com/Pitot_Tube/dm/*******.192425521--**********.548983703--view_id.169185

The pickup you have is for a fishfinder type electronic device and won't work with your gauge. I installed a teleflex gauge on my boat mainly for looks. I wish I hadn't. Not worth the trouble. You have get the pitot mounted properly (which I apparently haven't gotten right yet) drill holes for that and then drill another hole for the tube and deal with running that up to the dash. It doesn't even read until you get up to 10MPH or more.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for the advice I have a GPS but I wanted to install the new gauges for the looks and it would not heart to get it working right running the cable is not a big deal I have some string running throw the hull for adding or replacing cables or wires thank you and have a nice day:)

ziggy

Admiral

fwiw, i understand the looks part so go for it. but to me, boat speedos are notoriously inaccurate + it's just more holes in the boat for a future potential problem (sender screw holes under the waterline in a wood transom)..... i don't have a speedo, and i do use a gps, velcroed to the dash (good to see someone else hip to the velcro thing, great for cell phone and stereo remotes too)......

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Some of the pitot tube speedos can be off by at least 10 mph.
I noticed this while testing a bunch of new boats.
Yes,it will fill the void on the dash but don't expect it to be accurate.
I have the fishfinder digital speedo with the wheel that mounts on the transom.
It took many adjustments to get it to read close to the GPS speed.
Its pretty accurate up to about 45 mph.Great at low speeds..5 to 15 mph its dead on.
The GPS is the very best way to go.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Now you are making me think twice about it. Maybe you are right velcro the GPS and forget the speedometer:confused: thanks for the advice

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe do both??? My Pitot speedometer is pretty acurate from 20mph to 45 mph where I do most of my crusing and is easy to see when pulling a tube or skier (much easier to see than a GPS scree). The best function of the low cost GPS units (other than speed of course) is the ability to leave a "breadcrumb" trail and to mark waypoints. The lake I boat on is down 17 feet at the moment, near it's all time record low. I have been "marking" waypoints of exposed stumps and the like that would be a hazard if the lake were a couple of feet higher (they would then be just below the surface and have no marks/warning bouys). These waypoints show up on the gps screen and I can easily see my proximity to them when cruising. I use the bread crumb trail on occasion. The way this works, is the GPS records and plots where you have been for a period of time. Coming home at night, you can watch your progress realtive to the path you took earlier (got to be careful to watch where you are going versus just watching the gps screen) and you will stay out of trouble in a lot of cases.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks lkbum I think I will do both her are some photos for what I have!!

Attachments

• speedometer 002.jpg
    speedometer 002.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
  • speedometer 003.jpg
    speedometer 003.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
  • speedometer 008.jpg
    speedometer 008.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Gary for the link. How does it work what runs in the tube? is it air or water?or wires I think my sensor is a Lowrance Eagle speed sensor with water temp!!and BTW which side of the outboard do you install it on the transom

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

since I'm hanging around, I'll throw in my 2cents as well.
Your boat, being a 1994 model, is 14 years old. I have messed around with older boats a bit (I now have a 1975 and a 1967). I would really not want to drill any additional hole in my transom below the water line for any reason. I understand about the guage looking good, but I would add another vote for the GPS. It is accurate, and very easy. And, no holes in the transom. In fact, I am trying to figure out how to mount a sonar unit without drilling holes in the transom.

So, just for that sake, I would go the GPS route

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You can check your outboard to see if it has a pitot built into the lower unit. If it does you could use this if you don't want to drill holes in the transom. Personally, I don't see any problem with mounting a pitot as long as the holes are sealed well during install.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You do indeed have a Lowrance/Eagle speed sender and it does have a temperature probe. You can buy a used Eagle/Lowrance locator and have speed, distance, temp, trip, and battery voltage displayed in small to large numbers. A pitot speedometer operates by air pressure in the tube as water compresses that air as the pitot moves through the water. Which side you mount the sender or pitot on depends on where the helm is. If its on the starboard side, mount it on that side. If you have a center console it doesn't make any difference. As for drilling holes, there are a gazillion sealers that will very adequately seal the screw holes.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

The tube does not have to penetrate the hull below the WL, it can come up to the splash well and be bundled with the harness to the helm. This does leave the tube exposed, but you can hide it behind the O/B.

I agree with you that a mechanical speedometer is cool. Just remember this is your boat, dress it up how you like it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Being the speedo is going to be in the dash anyway i would hook it up.Why not?
Just be sure to use some sealer on the screws that hold the pitot to the transom.My choice is always 3M 4200 for screws.
And when you drill the pilot holes you will know if the transom is dry inside or if its wet or rotten.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you all for the advice I am going to install the pilot with 2 screws and use the 3M sealer on them the wire will run on the out side and then follow the wire harness to the center console I have to run a new steering cable any way so I will run every thing at the same time 109jb how would I know if my outboard has a built in pilot? and txmntman you can use glue to attach the sonar pikup to your transom if you dont want to use screws!! again thank you all and have a nice day.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

There is a teleflex speedo that is a very accurate low range speedo. Range is 5 to 35 mph. Great for my MFG, because the boat top out at 28-29 mph. If you haven't opened or installed the gauge yet, you might want to exchange it for the low range speedo.

34800_M1.jpg

BTW, the pitot you need is in the photo.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

I think my boat will go faster than 30 mph It did 45 with a 90hp force and now I have a 120hp force on it but I did not try it out yet!!