Add on 12v plug

CharlesRiver

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all,

Just a quick question, wondering who can help me here. I'm looking at adding on a couple 12v plugs on my new to me grew. I don't think there is one, and I would like to put on one either side of the boat. If I could add one on the passenger side, in the glove box, could I steal power from the stereo?
Also, I would like on at my helm, to power GPS etc. any suggestions where or where not, or what to avoid?

And suggestions on where to purchase from? I see there are a few posted here on the iboats site....

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Add on 12v plug

Its best to run directly from the battery or at least from the ign switch. Make sure you put an in line fuse too. Just put in two in my boat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Can you wire them into a spare circuit on the fuse/breaker box? 'Stealing' power from an existing circuit is not the best idea if you can avoid it. Aside from needing a bigger fuse, you'll need to know that the wiring there is of sufficient gauge to support the additional amperage load without overheating.

No reason not to purchase them from iboats. Good prices, good service... and they host the forum that helps answer questions like yours.

My .02

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not a good idea to come off the ignition switch for any boat accessories. That is how engine running issues start.
All accessories should all come off the fuse or breaker panel at your helm.

That is going to require some info like what motor, what type boat, what type electrical system you have now.

if you install a plug you should install the wire and fuse to the max ampage the plug will surport. someone gets on your boat and sees a plug that they can put there 12v cooler into or the 1 million candle power spot light. they plug in and the boat blows a fuse and stops. Maybe it will never happen but murphy likes boats.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

if you install a plug you should install the wire and fuse to the max ampage the plug will surport. someone gets on your boat and sees a plug that they can put there 12v cooler into or the 1 million candle power spot light. they plug in and the boat blows a fuse and stops. Maybe it will never happen but murphy likes boats.

^^^+ Remember the fuse is to protect the item being used not the wire and it never hurts to go one size larger on the gage of the wire then you expect to need.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Murphy`s laws apply with a vengeance on boats.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

If your boat has a large positive wire from the battery to a fuse or breaker buss block, you could tap into that buss block. But then also make a fused or breaker just for your additional outlet. That way you have a protected circuit just for your additional capability. Never add on to an existing circuit because it easily could tax that circuit's current capability and make those wires get warm or even hot...a possible fire hazard. Just do your addition with the best know wiring/fused/breaker practices and you'll have no problems or worries...