Add a bilge pump or not?

cwcollins06

Seaman
So, I have what was my grandfather's boat, a 1977 17' trihull with a 1976 Johnson 85HP V4 and it has no bilge pump. I've noticed that they seem like a pretty standard feature on all new boats. Should I add one? If so, should it be on a float switch or manual? Since she's only ever on the little lakes we have in Texas do I even need one? It feels like something that would be a good idea to have, but I'd hate to spend the money if it's overkill. She used to take on a lot of water through a bad transom, but I'm having the transom, stringers, and deck rebuilt right now so hopefully that won't be a problem anymore.

Anyway, question is, does it make any sense to add a bilge pump? I'm a trailer boater, so she won't be sitting in the water except when we're running her.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Add a bilge pump or not?

how small of a lake? I know the common opinion is that you absolutely need to have one, but in many cases, you can safely run without. Not many canoes or 13" aluminum fishing boats have bilge pumps. ESPECIALLY on an outboard. Anything with an inboard engine should have one though, that is an entirely different matter.

Personally, if you on a lake that is small enough you will always be within swimming distance of a shoreline, a bilge pump is far from required. I've owned more boats without bilge pumps that with...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if you have the rubber plug you can pull from the inside to run the water out, maybe not. Back in the day we went without them. But I think it's better to have one, for safety reasons.
the good thing about the float switch (besides the obvious on a moored boat) is that you can get a lot of water in and not know it, so the float switch makes it that much safer.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Unless the lake is no deeper then your waist, I'd recommend a bilge pump. Things happen, things break, things get hit, and above all, boats sink. The primary goal of every boater should be to take all steps necessary to keep the water on the outside of the boat.

cwcollins06

Seaman

Unless the lake is no deeper then your waist, I'd recommend a bilge pump. Things happen, things break, things get hit, and above all, boats sink. The primary goal of every boater should be to take all steps necessary to keep the water on the outside of the boat.

That seems reasonable, I think I'll put it on the list of things to get.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a pump, they are cheap and easy to install and it might save your boat or your life someday.

red

cwcollins06

Seaman

if you have the rubber plug you can pull from the inside to run the water out, maybe not. Back in the day we went without them. But I think it's better to have one, for safety reasons.
the good thing about the float switch (besides the obvious on a moored boat) is that you can get a lot of water in and not know it, so the float switch makes it that much safer.

I also feel like having a bilge pump keeps water from standing in the bilge for a long time which will help to preserve the stringers/deck/transom/foam I'm having replaced right now, right? Anything that gets pumped out can't get soaked up, right?

I do have a plug, so I can drain her every time she comes out of the water. When she was last on the water it felt like you needed a stopwatch with an hour hand to time how long she would drain. That's why we haven't run her in 10 years.

cribber

Lieutenant

Install an automatic bilge pump with a manual switch... I couldn't imagine running out on the lake without one because you just never know when you'll need it.

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I personally feal much safer knowing I have an automatic bilge pump. I've had my boat for 2 years and have had the pump kick on only one time. Which was my fault. I had been out running and went to load up to go home. Well got on the trailer and pulled out of the water, pulled the plug, and went to strap her down. Thats when i noticed the boat was sitting crooked on the trailer. So I backed back into the water to get straight. While getting the boat straight I saw the bilge pump shooting water out the side of the boat. At that second it hit me. Oh @#$% I didn't put the plug back in. Moral of the story, your bilge pump is like insurance. Pay for it and hope you never need it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

You don't need one..................till you need one. I put one in my little 14' tin can....just because. It only cost a few bucks and a half hour of my time. For your usage, just install a simple pump with an on-off switch. If you never leave the boat alone you don't need a float switch.

Right after I put mine in, I got stuck in a real gully washer of a storm. My tackle box was floating in the bilge. A flip of the switch and I was dry again.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Bilge pumps are like fire extinguishers and first aid kits. They take up space and cost a bit of money but they are darned handy when you need one.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I do have a plug, so I can drain her every time she comes out of the water. When she was last on the water it felt like you needed a stopwatch with an hour hand to time how long she would drain. That's why we haven't run her in 10 years.

You have way bigger issues! Seriously, don't put that boat in the water again until fixed. Doesn't matter if you have a bilge pump, you are sinking!

Bilge pumps generally shouldn't run, so it isn't a matter of keeping water off your stringers. If you have a big enough leak, they are going to be wet all the time anyway.

cwcollins06

Seaman

Smokingcrater, just to be clear, the source of that leak was improperly sealed outboard mounting bolts through the transom, so fixing the transom will fix the leak I expect. It's at the shop right now. :)