AC to DC grounding

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: AC to DC grounding

cj, that's it exactly. The standards for a certified charger (eg UL, cUL, CSA, etc) require isolation. So the discussion stems from the opinions on whether to add a ground jumper from the supply side of the charger to the output side. Many diagrams, including some from ABYC show such a ground jumper. However, all these diagrams show the ground jumper to the DC negative connecting to the boat's isolated ground, not the shorepower ground. So, if you intend to add the ground jumper, do it only from an isolated ground derived from either an isolation transformer or a ground isolating device.

Most transformers are typically called isolation transformers as most have no connection between the input and output windings as there is in an "autotransformer". However, the particular type of transformer that complies with the standards for chargers usually has a grounded metal foil or shield between the primary and secondary windings. The intention is of course that should either winding fail, there's no way that the primary voltage can leak across the barrier and enliven the secondary with an overvoltage. Other types of isolation barriers are sometimes acceptable subject to rigorous testing.
- Grandad

The company I worked for built isolation transformers for high end homes that had highly sophisticated audio/visual (home theater) systems. It would allow that system to have it's own newly derived ground which would avoid stray currents that might be present in the home's electrical ground. So I have a little bit of understanding of that technology, battery chargers a bit less, so i really appreciate your explanation.

Great stuff! Thanks Grandad.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: AC to DC grounding

I agree IF the ONLY thing to ever be plugged in is the batt. charger. Might even consider removing the powr cord from the batt. charger and install a cord long enough to reach shore power. No chance of anyone making a mistake.

Bubba, I think that would work just fine. - Grandad