Absolute Frustration - Motor not starting

neptune1961

Cadet
Recently put together a 1972 65hp Johnson with electric shift (65esl72s) and she now will not start. I bought it with the Lower unit removed and decided to do some maintenance

Work done: 1. Replaced water pump and some seals etc. All went back very nicely and filled with Johnson Premium Lube (type c).When joining the electric cables for the shift I noticed the colours from the Lower unit were Black and Black with a white stripe. I had to run 2 short sections of electrical wiring from the lower unit to the wires from the remote control (blue and green). Waterproofed them in but am able to swap around if need be

Question: Can anyone advise how to figure out which is which (Rev or Neut) or does it not matter until I can start it? Or do I have to ensure it is in neutral before starting?

Work Done 2. Serviced Carbs - gaskets, slow idle bearing and guide grommet, cleaned all passage ways, set float level etc

Question: Is there any sychronisation that needs to be done after a minor overhaul - My manual does not stipulate for this?

Work done 3. Replaced a solonoid on the top cylinder with a 'good' second hand one. (old one was cracked and not the same as the bottom 2). Also replaced spark plugs which I got from a BRP dealer and was assured the gap is perfect.

The engine started easily prior to this work being done. although I had not seen it used on the water.

Whilst my manual gives some troubleshooting advice it does not do so in any order and I was wondering if there is a sequence of tests I can do to determine why it is not firing up - Check plugs and they looked a little wet, maybe from me using the electrical choke, but after wiping still did not start.

Any ideas or pointing to relevant threads on this matter is trully apprecaited.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Absolute Frustration - Motor not starting

If it were me, I'd disconnect the knife switches on the blue and green wires just before they start down the exhaust tower. Then, I'd get a spark air gap tester for about 10 bucks at an auto parts store and see if I were getting good spark. I suspect you don't have good spark and that's why it won't start. Once you get it running good, you can get your shift wire mystery sorted out.
Here's a good thread for identifying the shift wire problem----see second post on thread by Tashasdaddy:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=326486&highlight=hydroelectric+shift+test

Good luck,
JBJ

neptune1961

Cadet
Re: Absolute Frustration - Motor not starting

JBJ

Many thanks for the response. Will definitely get a spark tester from local auto elec shop - In fact you can get the complete diagnostic tool for the entire ignition system for around $30 aus dollars. Will also disconnect the shift wires as you suggested

Again many thanks for you advice

Neps