Abandoned boat

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I woke up Sunday morning to find a pontoon boat tied to my dock and no one around talked to the neighborers i guess someone ran out of gas.Well its Tuesday and they have not returned so do i get to keep it?Thinking of pulling it out, but can i charge storage then?

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Abandoned boat

I woke up Sunday morning to find a pontoon boat tied to my dock and no one around talked to the neighborers i guess someone ran out of gas.Well its Tuesday and they have not returned so do i get to keep it?Thinking of pulling it out, but can i charge storage then?

Check your local laws. You may have to run an ad to find the owner in a local publication for a certain period of time before you can claim it as yours.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Strip it and cut it loose:D

Just kidding, good question though. I would think a docking fee, at the very least, is on order.:rolleyes:

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Strip it and cut it loose:D

Just kidding, good question though. I would think a docking fee, at the very least, is on order.:rolleyes:

Thats what i think.I would have no problem with it if they would have came back for it right away, but three days blocking my dock come on.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

what engine does it have on it?ill take the motor :D

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Did they leave you a note on your doorstep, mailbox, or in the boat itself?

If they didn't, I would cut the boat loose. I wouldn't strip it or steal from it or anything like that. But it shouldn't be your problem. Who knows if the boat is legit or if its a stolen wreck. Cut it... where ever it winds up it won't be your problem.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

chain and padlock it to your dock, $150 for the key. easy money.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Can you run a check on the registration numbers? You may be in possession of a stolen boat. At the very least, I'd call the police right now and report it.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

My cousin kept up the grounds on an old abandoned house next door for 20 years and then was able to pay off the taxes and claim it as his own...maybe it works like that with boats:rolleyes:

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

or since it is a pontoon, can anyone say party on the lake!!:D

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

You don't want to cut it loose and cause a collision on the water. Now, if you got a gas tank, let's fill that baby up, and throw a party on the lake. At least you don't have to worry about your guests trashing your boat.:eek:

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think I'm liking the party plan:D

You bring the gas, we'll bring the beer. Then, we can leave it at someone elses dock. I see a new game in the making.:rolleyes:

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Around here, if something like a tree comes into your marina and you tow it back out into the river so that it may just float away, the Coast Guard may charge you with causing a hazard to navigation:confused: Be careful about cutting stuff loose and letting it drift away.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not stolen the same women always seen driving it was the one that docked it.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So someone saw her dock it at your place?:confused:

I'm still going with the party theme:p

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey eedward,

Off the subject, but, how did they get that river boat docked on the river with all of those dams?:confused:

Did they build it there or are there locks?

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Let's see, well known woman stops at eedwards dock one weekend, leaves party boat and is never seen again???!?!?:eek::D
Sounds like you got some 'splainin to do!!!:D

JustJason

Vice Admiral

If she didn't have the courtesty to leave you a note (let alone actually ASKING for your permission) cut it loose. Well maybe not "cut" the lines per se... just untie them and let em hang from the boat. At least then there won't be any evidence of you cutting anything. When she comes back to cuss you out (for her being a dumbass) blame it on her knots.