A very stubborn flywheel cover on a 4 H.P.

chopper72

Seaman
It is a 71 Evinrude 4 h.p. I bought a wheel puller at Harbor Freight. I have the bolts connected and am using a breaker bar. I can't get it much tighter and it is still stuck on. I have whacked the top bolt more than a few times with a 3 pound plastic hammer. Does it help to spray PB Blaster down the shaft? Does the key ever get stuck down there making the shaft almost impossible to remove? Can you overtighten the wheel puller? Thanks!

Canoe2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had the same motor, same problem. Tightened up the flywheel puller, then poured penetrating oil o the shaft. Took a few days of waiting but it finally let go. Good luck.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Stop using the plastic hammer. Get a carpenters hammer and crank the puller as tight as you can get it and hit the centerbolt on the puller like driving a nail. Don't use a 5# mall or anything just a good 12-24oz carpenters hammer. Penetrating oil doesn't have a great effect on the them because of the way the taper stretches over the shaft.

wrench 3

Commander
If you're going to get viscous with it. Put the nut back on and turn it down flush with the top of the shaft to prevent the shaft from mushrooming.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you're going to get viscous with it. Put the nut back on and turn it down flush with the top of the shaft to prevent the shaft from mushrooming.

And to avoid a blackeye and/or busted parts. Without the nut, the chances are good for stuff to go flying when it pops loose.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
I actually have had good luck with PB blaster down the tapered shaft.............. I also like to slap down (lightly) on the outer rim of the flywheel with a rubber mallot. That always gets em loose for me........... I have a 1970 4hp parts motor laying around if you need anything for it........

chopper72

Seaman
It finally came off. I messed up the threads on the crankshaft a bit but the nut still threads on tight. If I had it to do over again I would have put a flat metal piece between the crank and the puller bolt. That was a stinker. Thanks for the help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
chopper, one thing I have to mention, when you go to install in back again. make absolutely sure there are no oils, grease, dirt or anything on either tapered part. It has to be totally clean and dry. Very important! JMHO!